Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH2019 - Failed to combine files into PDF

Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using RH2019 to generate a PDF.

All I get on a test upgrade is "Failed to combine files into PDF".

I've tried:

• Changing the output path.
  • Changing the pdf file name.
  • Removing spaces.
  • Creating a new, small toc.
  • Creating a new output preset.

What else should I try? (The help suggests I should get a warning icon next to the preset which opens a log file, but I get no such thing. In fact, mostly I have to kill the project with extreme prejudice to stop it "generating" after I close the error dialog box.)

It generates fine in RH11. And the new sample projects generate fine.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it generate in 2017 or 2019 Classic?

Any project I have tried in 2019 has generated.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaand, my trial has run out.

I did try your rh9_merge project and that also failed in RH2019. Although at some point I'd deleted the webhelp and printed doc outputs, so I had to create a new printed doc output. Maybe it's to do with an upgraded project with a new printed doc output? A brand new "simple test" project generated the pdf okay.

(oh, and a fresh copy of the rh10 merge within merge, upgraded through RH11. That had the printed doc output and also failed to generate in RH2019. So scratch the idea of old content, new output...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pass. If you want to send me the offending project, I'll take a look next week.

See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realised I'd replicated with a fresh copy of your rh10_merge_within_merge demo pack.

Merged WebHelp and HTML5 Help

I first opened the child_1 project in RH11 (earlier versions don't upgrade to RH2019 successfully).

Then I opened the project in RH2019 and generated the Printed Documentation output. It failed to generate a pdf, instead giving the message "Failed to combine files into PDF".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I just clarify, you are only trying to print one of the projects, not the whole merge?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, just the single project. The merge project was just a convenient basic sample for testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with a project upgraded from RH2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is at least one other thread about this problem. I believe an update is to be released very soon and hopefully that will fix the problem.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Release 2019.0.4 fixed this issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp