Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH2019 Import Skin file

Enthusiast ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'd like to import my customized skin file to all my projects. There is an option in RH2019 in the Skins folder for import, but this is scanning for *.skz or *.slz file endings only. However, the ending of my skin file seems to be *.skn

Will it be possible to simply copy all files from the skin-folder of one project to another?

Best regards
Karin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

I deleted my earlier reply. Whilst you can copy from Publish > Skins the correct method is to right click or use the menu with focus on your customised skin. There you will see an export option that will create the file you need to import.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted my earlier reply. Whilst you can copy from Publish > Skins the correct method is to right click or use the menu with focus on your customised skin. There you will see an export option that will create the file you need to import.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter! I hadn't found that option. Works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this for a merge or a number of standalone projects?

I haven't yet tested it but if it is a merge, the theory in 2019 is you don't need to set them up in the child projects. To generate those you need just one skin for of the type used in the parent, frameless or responsive. It's supposed not to need the same customisation or even be the same skin, just the same type.

I will be trying it in the next day or two.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is for a number of standalone projects currently. However, it sure is interesting how it actually works for merged projects as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Peter

I have the same problem as mentioned above, but your solution does not work for me. I switched from RoboHelp 11 to RH 2019 release, and when I generate my project in RH 2019 release, it looks completely different from what it should, because it obviously cannot read the skin file. I have tried this:

1. When I export my skin from RH 11, the only file option I've got is "zkn".
  2. When I import in RH 2019 release, the only file options I've got are "skz" and "slz".
  3. When I copy the original skin (which is a "skn" file) from Publish -> Skin in RH 11 to Publish -> Skin in RH 2019 release, I can import the file, but I'm getting an error message and have to close and restart RH, and of course the skin has not been imported.

I'm at a loss. Can you help me please?

Thanks a lot and best wishes

Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have the same problem. Karin wanted to export a skin from one project to other projects in the same version. You are upgrading to a different version. 

When you changed from Classic versions to 2019 you will have seen it is a completely new UI and it is all new code. You will have been using a WebHelp skin and they are no longer used.

See WebHelp Output (grainge.org). You will need to use a frameless or responsive skin. Going forward Adobe will be focussing more work on frameless outputs so I recommend considering frameless skins for your project. The calls using URLs are different so you need to discuss that with your developers if you use context sensitive help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot, Peter, for your swift reply. And sorry for misinterpreting the problem described by Karin in this thread. At least I know now that I cannot import the old skins, so I'll give the framless ones a try. And thanks for the tip regarding the context sensitive help, which we are indeed using!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp