I have 15 help files to upgrade. I got to my last help file for upgrading to RH2020 and RH will not upgrade it. It works fine in RH2019. The message I get is
If I Restart RH and try again, I keep getting the same error. The only thing different with this help file from the rest of them is that the project was renamed in RH2019. However RH2019 handled it flawlessly. Does anyone have any ideas why this one may not be working? This help files does require frequent updates, so I would hate to go back to RH2019 (yet again) for one help file. I have kept all the RH2019 files so I can go back.
thank you to anyone that responds.
Are you using the RH2020 patch 1 version to upgrade it?
Yes I have the most recent patch version.
Was it an older project that went through the RH2019 Classic to New UI workflow?
No. It was a newer project that was started in New RH2019.
I have been trying to dig into the project to see what it could be. The old project name was J&C. When the product name was changed, it was changed to Prob Docs so I changed the project name and whatever I could in RH. RH2019 worked flawlessly, and was generating files with no problem. I now see the toc file is still named J&C.toc but RH 2019 was handling it but I don't know if that could be causing the problem in RH2020.
There are big changes to the TOC in 2020 as described in the About RoboHelp sample project. I would certainly try using just alphanumeric characters.
So if I am understanding you correctly.
1. Uninstall RH2020
2. Install RH2019 again (I know I cannot have both -- went through that when RH2020 didn't support IE)
3. Change the Toc name to only have letters.
4. Uninstall RH2019
5. Install RH2020
6. Try the upgrade again.
I'll give it a try.
I think you are mixing the two replies. Jeff suggested that an upgrade to the last Classic version can clean things up. True but we don't know for sure that is the problem.
Try right clicking on the TOC to rename it in 2020. The rest might not be necessary.
... and you can have both 2019 and 2020 installed. I have that setup on three machines. Projects will open in the last installed version if you double click the RHPJ file. For 2019 projects I have added the RoboHelp exe file to my Send To list.
Okay you are correct, you can open projects in RH2019 when RH2020 is installed however the problem comes in generating them to make sure they are working. To make sure it was working right, I did uninstall RH2020. After the rename to ProbDocs.toc, everything worked in RH2019 including the generation.
I reloaded RH2020 (uninstalled RH2019 so nothing would interfere with it) and the same error message occurred. I even checked around when I had RH2019 installed to make sure there wasn't anything else still having the J&C name and I didn't see anything.
I did some more digging. I have two presets for this help file (one for the admin and one for the users). This is what I found
When I viewed the preset in the GUI it showed it was picking the toc ProbDocs but the html file is showing <name>J&C<name>. The path is correct. I will manually change this and see what happens. Is there another place I should be checking for the TOC name?
With both installed you have to only open a project in the correct version, they are not interchangeable. I think you know that but want to be sure.
You are saying the project works in 2019 but if upgraded to 2020 it fails, correct?
Can you share the project? If you can, then see the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct. I will look over the weekend. Can't do it today.
Maybe the best thing to do would be create a new, not duplicate, preset.
Been working really hard on this. Here is the outcome:
1. I am now able to work in both RH 2019 and RH2020 at the same time. What happened before I do not know. Previously I was not on the last version of RH 2019 or the RH2020 update 1 when I tried it. Whether that had anything to do with it or not, don't know. However, I do know to only open 2019 projects in RH 2019 and 2020 projects in RH2020. Now I have the lastest of both and at least operational on all help files.
2. In that one file I found other files that RH2019 must of named for me with J&C in it. I was able to rename those manually. Also since you said there were many updates to the TOC, I went through the TOC very detailedly and found areas where I forgot to change J&C to Prob Docs. So basically I looked at EVERYTHING.
3. I did delete my 2 presets I had and recreated from scratch like you said.
4. After all that, no change. I received the same error message.
5. I tried requesting permission to send you the file, however, that was denied. No judicial information, even a help file, can be sent outside the court. So I will have to recreate the help file from scratch, import the htmls, skin, etc.
So, I will like to thank you very much for ALL your time and assistance. Even though we didn't get this help working, I am at least working on both RH2019 and RH2020. So I can make updates to the help file until I have time to completely recreate it.
There is information on my site about recreating New UI projects but the obvious concern is it will just recreate the issue.
Let us know how you get on if there's anything more you think we can do to help.
Thank you Peter. I will check your website for the information. When I get some extended open time, I will work on the recreation and post the results.