• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robo-Help 9 can access through network ?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using robohelp version 9  and currently we are using your tool to create .chm file for online help for my application.

My application is enterprise application and implemented with .net (visual studio 2015)

Currently we are creating setup of application like .exe (i.e. desktop application ) and .chm file is part of setup. it will get install on local machine when setup will get installed.

It means that .chm files are part of setup so setup become very heavy and slow (setup building).

So now we want to separate .chm file from setup. ( setup - .chm file)

Now we are thinking that we will access .chm files through network. (client - server)

we .chm files will on server side and client can access that .chm files from server whenever they require.

is it possible ?

if yes then please let us know how ?

/Nikhil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You refer to "your tool". This is mainly a user to user forum. If you want assistance from Adobe, you need to contact their Support.

CHMs have not worked on a network since 2005! There was a workaround described on my site CHM Files Not Working on Network but that will not work on 64 bit machines. For that reason you have to work on the basis CHMs cannot run from a network.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Nikhil,

CHM created, is not supported on both server and network location.

Its majorly used for offline consumption and gets installed on users machine along with the product.

As space occupied by CHM file is a concern, I would recommend you to switch to Responsive HTML5 which would give you the capability to host your CSH help on server or any other network location. After which once the user tries to access help from within the product it will be called from the server location.

-Manminder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp