Highlighted

RoboEngine/RH6

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently purchased RoboHelp 5 Pro, which has the RoboEngine and source control built in. I need to purchase a few extra copies of RoboHelp for my coworkers. I'd like to get them RH6, but will the RoboEngine handle RH6 content?

Thanks in advance - Nick

Topics

RoboServer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

RoboEngine/RH6

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently purchased RoboHelp 5 Pro, which has the RoboEngine and source control built in. I need to purchase a few extra copies of RoboHelp for my coworkers. I'd like to get them RH6, but will the RoboEngine handle RH6 content?

Thanks in advance - Nick

Topics

RoboServer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Nick. It sounds like you are talking about a "mixed" environment where some authors will be using RH X5 and some RH 6 and all would be publishing to the older RoboEngine (v4)? Or did you mean the new RH Server 6? We have to remember it's been 3+ years since RH X5 came out and one might expect compatibility differences.

I am not an Adobe employee, so what follows is just my understanding until someone official chimes in.

Good news. Both the RH X5 and RH 6 author client apps can publish to the old AND new RoboEngines. However, there are at least two major differences you will need to plan for. (obviously, the best choice is to upgrade everything including the server )

1. You would want to select WebHelp Pro as the single source layout (and not FlashHelp) because the older RoboEngine did not support FlashHelp (RH Server 6 supports FlashHelp Pro from the RH 6 client app.)

2. There is a major change and something upgraders need to plan for. "Natural language" based search capabilities have been replaced by keyword based search. Because of Google, Yahoo, etc., over the last few years, the culture of search has changed. Keyword search has become more popular than natural language (like the old Ask Jeeves) and customers are more comfortable typing a few keywords rather than typing a complete question.

This means users should no longer type in a natural language phrase, but more traditional keywords to get a better search result similar to other popular search engines. The results will depend on the match between the keywords entered and the published content.

3. You mentioned you might being using RoboSource Control. The source control in RH 6 is very different (happily much more robust). But it would make sense to use the newer source control which would require upgrading everyone.

Watch for an Adobe Developer Network RH Server 6 article I'm finishing up now and will be posted later this month.
Hope this helps.
John

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp Instructor
Evergreen, Colorado

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd rather not like to upgrade to the RH6 server. I don't care about slightly better searches and I don't use Flash Help. Can any Adobe employees varify this information:

- That a RH6 generated content (particularly WebHelp or WebHelp Pro) can be used with a RoboEngine from RH5?

- That the source control of RH6 can't be used with RH5?

Thanks - Nick

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Captiv8r LATEST
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick

Sorry my friend. If you are looking for feedback from Adobe employees here, you need to know that they don't normally hang out here. You might send the question to support using the link at the bottom of this page if you are really wanting an Adobe employee to respond.

Cheers... Rick

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines