• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 10 - SVN Issue

Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are having an issue with RoboHelp 10 and SVN (Subversion 1.7.5).

Say, for example, I add three new topics to an online help project, close the project and commit the changes. My colleague performs an SVN update - she can see that the new files are brought down from the server. The new files are then visible in the physical RoboHelp project folder - so SVN has done its job. However, when she opens the online help project on her machine, the three new files are appearing with the red 'X' in the table of contents - suggesting RoboHelp cannot find the files (as per the image below). The files are also not displayed in the project manager pod. However, if we perform a manual import in the project manager, the files are added to the project manager and no longer displayed with the red 'X' in the table of contents.

This has only happened since we upgraded to RH 10 from RH 9. Could it be that there is some setting that we need to configure?

Files.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if it would be worth uninstalling and reinstalling the SVN plugin. Chances are that the RH10 update has disturbed something somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We don't use an SVN plug-in for our version control. All our version control is using Subversion outside of RoboHelp. This has worked fine in previous versions of RoboHelp - but now it seems to have a problem seeing the added files.

Thanks a lot,

Niamh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating a new RH project, committing that to SVN and getting your colleague to do an SVN Update. Can she see the project's topics then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something else to try is to take a copy of the three added topics and then manually delete them from your local source repository. What happens if you then do an SVN Update. Do you see the same behaviour?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same behaviour occurs in this case too I'm afraid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. At least the behaviour is consistent between users so we've established it is not an individual setup issue. Did you check the SVN icon on the three topics after you committed to ensure they were updated to the green tick. Also can you check the SVN repository to ensure three files are OK there. Open up each of the files in turn and check them.

Another hunch. Is the project's .cpd file included in the SVN repository? If so, it maybe worth doing an SVN Ignore on this and ensuring you have both deleted the .CPD file before opening the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the three topics are updated with green tick.

We already have the following files set to ignore:

cpd

hhp

pss

SSL folder and ssl files

eHlpDhtm.js

Ldb

$rhvariable$.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming that Niamh. I just wanted to check all bases. I think the best course of action is for me to try exactly what you have done. I have access to RH10 here (home) but not SVN. I will however have access to both tomorrow. Can you give me until then and I will let you know how I get on.

In the meantime you can always import any added topics. It would also be worthwhile knowing if you get the same problem if you rename / delete topics and then commit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help,

That would be great if you could check it out. We are actually getting the same problem with renaming topics but so far not with deleting topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add - I created a new project on the network, outside of SVN (ie. I did not add or commit it to SVN) and we do not have the same problem. So it definitely relates to how RH 10 works with SVN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoa! You mentioned "network". Would you have all your RH source located on a network drive? If so, that could well be the issue. I know that RH10 says that you can now store your projects on a network drive but I would still strongly advise against that. If you have your source on a network drive, try moving it to a local drive and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we pull the files from a server down to our local drives when we check the files out - I only saved a new project to the network to test it outside of SVN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. Just checking

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 27, 2012 Sep 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Just to follow up - our tools department is convinced that this must be a problem with RH rather than SVN as SVN seems to be doing what it should. So we are really quite lost! Do you know if it's possible to reinstall RoboHelp 9? Could that be a solution?

The Import/Restore option doesn't work in the case where a team member creates a new file inside a new directory in the project manager. In this case, RoboHelp doesn't seem to be able to pick up the new directory after the SVN commit and update - and so it can't find the file at all. Restore and import do work, however, where a new file is added at root level or in an existing folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have just discovered something - if we delete the cpd file before opening the project, this seems to resolve the issue. We each already have the cpd file set to ignore, but actually hitting the delete key before opening the project seems to correct the issue. (not an SVN > Delete operation, simply a keyboard delete).

Could this be the answer? Is there some way to tell RoboHelp to automatically delete the cpd file each time you open a project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There sure is. Check out this post. It refers to RH8 but it still applies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

then I think we have our answer. I might need a drink after all this thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2014 Jun 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wondering where this link went, since we are trying to iron out some SVN source control issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This link does not work. Is it posted elsewhere?

I'm having a similar problem with RH 2015. I moved topics with RH Project Manager, but after committing and then updating, they aren't moved and I get the red X.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check out the *.fpj files? And did you remove the .CPD file before opening the project again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I changed my settings to clear the CPD when opening. But I also think I made a mistake in SVN when committing. I did not select the files to be updated when I committed. (I've only committed single files in SVN before and am not an SVN expert.)

It seems to be working now in preliminary tests. I'll post again if I still have problems.

Thanks for the prompt response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same issue occurs if we create a new project which contains two topics. When my colleague updates and opens the project, she can see the two topics fine - but when she adds a new topic to the project and commits it, and I then update, I get the red X beside her new topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp