• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 10 Web Help output is a blank page in IE 11, even after applying all the fixes from Adobe!

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've applied all of the Adobe fixes but still get the blank page in IE 11. It even says "Blank page" on the title bar.

Chrome works fine. FireFox not at all (even with the Adobe fix added).

Not sure what else to do. My initial configuration when I got TCS4 was with IE 8. That was fine. Then, with the company mandated upgrades from IE, it started to give blank pages. All of the Adobe fixes - RH10.zip, FixForRH10Install.zip, IE11Fix_RH10.zip, whutils.zip (FireFox) - have added up to:

• Not working with FireFox
  • IE 11 opens a blank page. On the software it's in, there are two help options -- to open the help at the initial page, or to open it at the specific dialog box you're in. It doesn't open the initial page, but will open the individual dialog help pages.
  • No problems with Chrome.

Is this an Adobe issue, browser issue, or my own lack of understanding issue??

I had a developer look at it briefly, and below are his initial comments.

Any insight as to what to do would be appreciated. Thanks,

dan

==========================================================================================================================

On chrome, basically, the code open a blank window with method window.open(), and then reset the window URL to the target html page so that the blank window get refreshed with correct HTML content, but sometimes not sure under what condition, the second window.open() just open a new window instead of using the already opened blank window. Check the below chrome debugger screenshot for detail, line 232 and 233.

A2--0024.png

Things even strange on Firefox, it always popup two windows, the first is blank, the second displays the help content. The follow screenshot shows where the two windows pop-up, it is quite different with Chrome.

A2--0025.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of RH10 are you at now? I know it did work in RH10, because I was producing WebHelp that worked on all three browsers a couple of months ago on RH10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checked, and it's 10.0.1.292.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look-see at Willam’s site - http://www.wvanweelden.eu/articles/robohelp-patches-and-updates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that site is familiar! 

I've previously applied most of those fixes:

• "WebHelp issues in RoboHelp versions 10 and 11" -- RH10.zip
  • "Published Help topics not visible in Internet Explorer 10" -- the fix for New WebHelp output (FixForRH10install.zip)
  • "WebHelp published output issues for Firefox version 35" - whutils.zip

FireFox results

I re-applied the fix and at least it works somewhat.

On my software's main toolbar is a Help button with choices for "Help Contents" and "Help Topic".

• "Help Contents" opens the main, initial online help page (that contains the TOC, IX, and Search). The issue here is that clicking this opens TWO pages now -- one is blank (titled "about:blank") and the other contains the help contents. I just need to find out how to get rid of that blank page.
  • "Help Topic" opens the specific page for the current topic in focus. This works.

IE 11 results

"Help Topic" works, opening the individual page.

"Help Contents", which should open the main online help page, opens blank. (The title bar says "Blank Page")

Chrome results

Thankfully, no problems!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2015 Jun 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have to add the location of your help files as a “Trusted Location” in IE11 – that helped with my WebHelp that is installed on LAN servers (not on a web server). Check that your FF is up to date and that you’ve enabled JavaScript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried adding the location as a trusted site and enabling javascript, but to no avail. Tried newwnd=false and newwnd=true, but no change there either.

Is there anything else in whcsh_home.htm that could be causing this? I've seen mention of SwitchURL() in some posts, which is where "about:blank" shows up (since in FireFox the 2nd window that opens is titled "about:blank." IE 11 is "Blank Page - Internet Explorer . . .")

I'm not sure of what else to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m pretty sure all the fixes were in the WebHelp5Ext > template_stock folder’s js files. Would you like a copy of mine all zipped up to compare against?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be great. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send me a PM with your e-mail & I’ll zip it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my work email, so that’s probably best – dan (dot) cotton (at) infor (dot) com

Dan Cotton – Information Developer, Sr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally we don’t expose our e-mail addresses because of spam bots. I’ve zipped it up & sent it to you. See if it comes through; if not, I’ll use my Dropbox account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that.

Got the zip and copied it into the Program Files location. Unfortunately, I got the same results as before.

• Chrome works fine
  • FireFox works, except that it creates a blank page along with the Help Contents
  • IE 11 opens the particular help topic, but still gives a blank Help Contents page.

When I was running IE 8, it worked fine. Now that I've finally upgraded to IE 11, it doesn't want to cooperate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it opens without problems in Chrome and FireFox (except for the extra blank page), would that indicate a setting in IE 11 that needs adjustment?

I've added my site to the trusted sites list, but that didn't make a difference. I didn't see any other options that might help, unless it's something in Advanced Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you regenerate the WebHelp after the zip went in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I copied/pasted the zip files twice, just to be sure. Each generation, though, still has the blank page.

Dan Cotton – Information Developer, Sr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've edited the responses to try and obfuscate the email addresses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I’ve edited my preferences, so maybe that’ll work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a bit late to the party, but if I read the conversation correctly, it's not solved, right?

The first post suggests a problem with a context sensitive help call. Can you try not opening the help in a popup? That may help solve this problem. (Add >>newwnd=false to the URL.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that’ right. Still being puzzled over. The only new news is that the developer at my work who has looked it over

Adobe Tech  Support says it’s not their issue. A developer at my work has looked into it briefly and hasn’t come to any conclusions yet. He did say that, regarding how the online help is called from the software, the following method is used to open a new window for displaying the help content:

window.RH_ShowHelp(0, '/mhelp/index.htm>Mainwindow', 1, 0)

Where the “RH_ShowHelp” method is from the javascript file RoboHelp_CSH.js (in the RH program files).

As for newwnd=true/false, I’ve tried it both ways, with no improvement either way.  ☹

-- Edited by Willam van Weelden: Removed email address

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use the ShowHelp function, try the following: In the MainWindow Windows settings, enable the 'Use Default Browser Settings' options to disable the additional popup.

The >>newwnd=false only works if you call the help through a URL yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not quite sure where this setting might be, though.

In the main window, there’s a Window > Windows option on the toolbar. This opens a Windows dialog, which is blank.

On the Project Set-up tab, double-clicking Windows > NewWindow opens the Window Properties dialog, but this is for a new window. The “Use Default Browser Settings” options is apparently selected by default.

Is there another location to find this setting?

-- Edited by Willam van Weelden: removed email

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The setting in the Project Set-up is the one I was talking about. I expected that to block the popup.

Before going all out, can you try the following? What I see from the JS api, this should have the desired effect:

window.RH_ShowHelp(0, '/mhelp/index.htm>Mainwindow>>newwnd=true', 1, 0)

This should block the popup.

-- I removed your email address from your earlier response. Please make sure to not include your email in forum messages unless you're interested in specific body part enlargement products 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll relay this to the developer that's helping out in-between his other projects. BTW, I've looked for ways to remove the email address, but apparently haven't found it yet. Where is this done?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the web forum to respond or strip off your signature line if using e-mail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp