• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHELP 2015 - Generated Flash help Search feature is not working in ie 11 and Firefox ver 47.0.1

Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have upgraded to RoboHELP 2015 and have installed all 3 updates. When I generate a flash help and then run in IE11, the search function does not display any results. It looks like it's working (displaying Searching) but never displays any results.  I see the full data text search in the pod and I see many .xml files generated. If I generate a webhelp, the search feature works but of course I don't have that sexy flash gui that my customer likes. Anyone else having this issue? Is this a bug? Can anyone suggest a workaround or a fix?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing is happening to me, many of our customers, and the support department at my company.

I contacted RoboHelp support and the agent recommended adding the C: drive to the Trusted Location Settings for your Flash Player.

However, this did not resolve the issue for me or anyone else.

flash.png

I'm surprised that your FlashHelp works in IE at all. The TOC and Navigation don't display for us so we've stopped using IE completely.

Now we are having this Search issue in Firefox and Chrome .... Adobe Support seems clueless about it.

In any case, make sure your flash plug-in is up to date (in Firefox, it doesn't not automatically update). Let me know if you find a solution....thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are later updates and I believe one includes a fix for search issues.

Issues resolved in Adobe RoboHelp (2015 release)

Adobe - Support : RoboHelp Support Center : Service Releases

See if applying the later patches helps. I note the first link shows five patches while the second only shows four. I believe 4.1 may be the version that is on the download page. If you update via RoboHelp, it should find the latest.

I'm not sure that will fix the problem but it is the first thing to try.

Also see if you get the same issue with the supplied sample projects. Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks so much for your response...

I read through all of the Issues Resolved bullets and I didn't see one that dealt with the issue we are experiencing. The closest issue was for RoboHelp Server -- the Index and Search not loading in Chrome and Firefox. The issue that we're having is that the Search function is loading but does not work at all. The user types in a search word and it says "Searching." forever.

I have updated RoboHelp via the program itself ... I'm running 12.0.4.460.

I accessed the sample projects but neither one of them has FlashHelp listed in the Output methods?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click to create one.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Sorry, could you specifically tell me where to right-click? If I right-click on the Output methods, I see the menu below :

output.png

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click in the Output pod where the existing outputs are listed. I

think you will hit the same problem but that will rule out it being

something in your project. We'll take it from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I included a screen shot in my previous reply that shows you the right click menu when you right click on the Output pod. No option to add an output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll add a screenshot later but try right clicking on the heading. Else go

to the menus.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps this will help?

Click the button indicated in the image, then in the pod that opens, that's where you right-click.

tmp3.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter and Rick,

Thanks, I really appreciate your time on this. I know the Output menu, I'm sorry, I don't think I was being totally clear. FlashHelp is not an output option for the sample projects. It's not in the menu. I'm attaching a screen shot of the New Output menu. What am I missing here?newoutput.png

Best,

Angelo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not missing anything, Rick and I are. I just checked RoboHelp 11 and 2015 and it looks like FlashHelp got dropped as an output. I will check this with Adobe.

I'm not overly surprised given the bad press Flash has got in recent years and the increased functionality with HTML5 outputs.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, they dropped support for their own product!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure it's fair to say they dropped support. For starters, On my own PC, if I create a new blank project, I do see both a FlashHelp and a FlashHelp Pro output that are included in the Outputs(SSL) pod. Additionally, when one chooses to create a new Window definition from the Output Setup pod, FlashHelp and FlashHelp Pro are listed there too. So the only place it seems to be missing is when attempting to create a fresh output recipe.

Further, while Adobe does presently own the Flash product, it was not always so. Same with RoboHelp. So FlashHelp output in and of itself is fraught with issues related to all these things as well as what has been mentioned earlier in the thread.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Rick and I have raised this with Adobe so let's see what they say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry but it looks like there is no solution to this. FlashHelp was pulled from RoboHelp 2015 and as you can see, neither Rick nor I were aware of that. The reason is as intimated above, Flash has become increasingly unpopular generally and the volume of users made it difficult to continue support. You will see that there are very few posts in the FlashHelp forum.

I think from what you say that your reason for going with FlashHelp is related to the fact that it is cosmetically more attractive. HTML5 outputs may be a solution and they have the advantage of offering more functionality. Depending on what is in your project, as far as generating the content is concerned, it should be a case of creating a new layout and seeing if you like the appearance and it fixes the problem you encountered with searching. The layout can be customised using the built in editor.

If you see that as a viable suggestion, you must also check with your developers as changes will be needed on their side too.

I realise this is not the answer you wanted when you came to this forum but it is the best I can suggest.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Peter ... I appreciate all of your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp