• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 2015. How you open a spreadsheet (baggage file) from a PDF created for review?

Participant ,
Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon.

We have a topic with a link to an Excel spreadsheet that was added to the Baggage Files folder.

We are thinking about replacing all the RoboHelp tables with spreadsheets added as baggage files because the tables don't convert well to PDF and are not easily sortable.

We often use Create PDF for Review to provide reasonable-looking output for internal reviews and to some customers. (For two years we've not been able to successfully generate Word or PDF documents using an SSL. Adobe thinks it's got something to do with communication between TFS/Source Control and RoboHelp.)

So I decided to see whether linking to a spreadsheet would work.

In the PDF, I click the link and nothing happens.

Does anyone know how to make the link open the spreadsheet?

Thank you.
Carol

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

There is the problem of where the baggage file is located. I think they are referenced as relative links which obviously won't work on other people's computers. You could probably submit a feature request to see if Adobe can figure out a neat way of implementing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update.

I generated the PDF for the single topic with the link to the XLSX rather than to the whole project. When I click the link, the Launch File dialog box opens and I can open the spreadsheet.

This leads me to assume that Create PDF for Review is not built to launch baggage files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is the problem of where the baggage file is located. I think they are referenced as relative links which obviously won't work on other people's computers. You could probably submit a feature request to see if Adobe can figure out a neat way of implementing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 23, 2016 Sep 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point! I will consider adding a feature request.

Another option, I believe, would be to create a PDF "package" that included the spreadsheet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amebr, do you have that a bit backward? Normally a relative link is the desired type of link. I'm guessing that you are thinking about absolute links.

Curious about replacing tables with Excel spreadsheets. Even more curious about what Adobe thinks is the issue with generating printed docs. Because that's generally totally a RoboHelp/Microsoft Word thing. I'm surprised to hear that they think it has something to do with TFS.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning, Rick.

Here's what Adobe told me. "I suspect the issue seems to be with the communication of the project on your computer to team foundation server. Please try to create a new Team Project from File> New Team Project in Microsoft Visual Studio Source Control Explorer
and then link the project and check the issue further.
"

We haven't done that yet because we're too busy with our project. We've been using Create PDF for Review as needed, but that has limitations over and above the baggage file issue. For example, it doesn't include drop-down text in the PDF.

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, there is certainly an option for including the text. Sure, the drop-downs don't function as they will in the on-line output. But the intent is for folks to look it over. Not experience it as they would if it were produced in an on-line format.

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 26, 2016 Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Rick.

I went back into my records. I confused drop-down text with pop-ups in Word versions of Help. Popup content doesn't appear in the Word Version of the Help.

Using Create PDF for Review, the drop-down text seems to work fine for a single topic, but when I create it for a TOC with multiple topics, I get the following Adobe message. Clicking Yes brings up a message prompting you to save the PDF, which then does include the expanded drop-down text.

So thank you for your information, which led me to test it out a bit more .

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@captiv8r No, the relative link is what I'm talking about. Because I assume the PDF for Review doesn't "package" the baggage file in any way so the link would still be relative, but that file wouldn't exist in that relative location on the reviewer's pc. If the links were changed to an absolute webpath, then in that case the link would work in the review pdf.

So I was thinking the enhancement would be to ask Adobe to figure out some way of including the baggage files for review - which might involve some sort of "compiled" format to ensure the relative links are in place, or maybe having some sort of auto-zip and extract process. Or they could come up with some even better idea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp