• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 2015 (JavaHelp/OracleHelp)

Contributor ,
Oct 17, 2016 Oct 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started a trial of RH in order to evaluate its ability to generate JavaHelp[/OracleHelp] output. From the online documentation and from the Adobe tutorial I watched I was led to believe that there were generators for both of JavaHelp and OracleHelp. However, I don't see these output types as being available. Am I missing something?

Can anyone help with this? TIA.

Note: I have seen some vague references in the forum to JavaHelp no longer being supported, but I can't see any definitive documentation on this.

Note2: I have a large Java application that I'd like to integrate RH generated output into and I'd like this to be pure Java (having to use Web Help or HTML help and manually triggering a browser to run is a non-starter).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 17, 2016 Oct 17, 2016

Hi there

While it's not specific to those odd output formats, see if the video below helps you sort making them available.

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

While it's not specific to those odd output formats, see if the video below helps you sort making them available.

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Yes, thank you, this is what I needed in order to add both the JavaHelp and OracleHelp output format generators. Thank you.

I was able to fully generate the OracleHelp JAR file (once I found the OracleHelp download on Oracles Java download site ), but not the JavaHelp JAR file due to RH's inability to locate a JavaHelp "install directory". I'm not sure what that is since I've been unable to find a JavaHelp 2.0 "install" file to "install". I have the JavaHelp 2.0 JAR file but this seems insufficient for the RH JavaHelp generator. Any ideas on this one?

Thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, nope. Those output formats are a bit foreign to most RoboHelp users.

Maybe another forum user will see this thread and offer some insight.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2016 Oct 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Perhaps my friend Peter Grainge's page might help here?

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx Rick (and Peter), this is helpful, yes.

Unfortunately the main item I'm looking for here is the JavaHelp 2.0 install download (and the link for this in Peter's page is broken ). Obviously Oracle appears to be hiding this pretty well (or they've completed purged it from their site). Oddly, I can't seem to find any other location that provides this download. I'm not averse to going with OracleHelp, but I do have a slight preference for JavaHelp (unless someone can convince me otherwise ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given that neither of these forms of help have been supported for years, I

am curious as to why you want to cling on. Is there a reason you cannot use

Webhelp or an HTML5 responsive output?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My understanding is that OracleHelp is actively developed/supported http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/help/utilsoft-ohw-422139.html.

Both JavaHelp and OracleHelp allow for an integrated help system within a pure Java application. This is in contrast to WebHelp or HTML5/CSS output, which must be viewed in a "browser". Note: there are embedded browser Java technologies (e.g., JXBrowser) that provide a pure Java browser capability where these types of help output could be viewed, but this is an added complication that's not required when integrating JavaHelp/OracleHelp directly.

I'd be fine with going with OracleHelp if JavaHelp is indeed dead/no longer supported (although it's interesting to me that this is still supported as an output generation type in RH 2015).

BTW, this requirement isn't unlike other large Java applications - e.g., the NetBeans Java IDE uses JavaHelp as a basis for its application help framework.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp