• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp 2017 "You project file... is corrupt and cannot be opened. Try Deleing this file"

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I am getting a message when I open my project in Robohelp 2017

image004.png

I have seen posts stating that I can try to create a backup then delete the .cpd file and re-open the project. I was wondering, is there any downside to this? Will this work in Robohelp 2017? I was also wondering, is there a known cause for this happening? 

I appreciate any help. Thank you. 

 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't really need to backup before deleting the .cpd file - there's even a setting inside RH to clear it each time you open the project. It's just an Access database file that keeps track of stuff in your project. If it's missing, it gets rebuilt automatically.
As to why it got corrupted, have a look at where the project is located - is it on a local c:\ drive or network location? Are you using any source control for checking the project in/out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, Jeff. I appreciate your help. I found a recommendation on Peter Grainge's website about the setting you mentioned.

Our project is on a network drive. We don't have source control in place. Could that cause this issue?

I appreciate your help. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue with projects on network in Classic versions of RoboHelp is they are only as good as the network. If the network is slow or if there is some sort of glitch, then you can have problems. I'm not saying that is the issue, just that it could be.

I would move the project locally, delete the CPD or set RoboHelp to do that, then see what happens.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't have multiple authors working on the project then you don't need source control or having it located on the network. A simple batch file to back it up off your c:\ drive to a network location is fine. I've recently worked with another writer over in Pakistan where we "hot potatoed" the project back and forth for authoring (just by zipping it up & maintaining the same folder structure on both our local machines). Worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've also done it using something like Google Drive syncing locally. It works fine as long as you time allocate access times and allow Google Drive to update locally after you boot up and before you start work. In this scenario the other person would be sleeping while I worked because of time zones.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp