• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 2017: Use Lowercase File Names (Recommended for UNIX)

Enthusiast ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In RoboHelp 2017, the Multiscreen HTML5 output type provides a Use Lowercase File Names (Recommended for UNIX) option. This works great. However, the Responsive HTML5 output type does not include this option.

1. Why doesn't the Responsive HTML5 output type include this option?
  2. Is there an update that adds this option to the Responsive HTML5 output type?
  3. How are RoboHelp 2017 users supposed to generate Responsive HTML5 output that is UNIX-compatible?
  4. Does RoboHelp 2019 Classic support this option for Responsive HTML5 output?
  5. Does RoboHelp 2019 support this option for Responsive HTML5 output?
  6. If RoboHelp 2019 doesn't support it, how are users supposed to generate Responsive HTML5 output that is UNIX-compatible?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Only Adobe can say why they have not included it.
  2. No.
  3. My understanding is that Unix does not demand lowercase, rather it is case sensitive. So MyLink.htm will work as long as the link and the target are the same. MyLink.htm in the link will not find mylink.htm but will find MyLink.htm.
  4. No.
  5. See 3 above.

Notwithstanding my answers, you make a valid point that the option should be there.

Personally I always create filenames as lower case because I work with merged help and across merges it becomes even more important. By doing that, my links and targets are lowercase from the start.

Forcing lowercase the way RoboHelp does in other layouts can create problems. In one project you create a link with camel case and the target is the same. You then tick the Use Lower Case option and then your link is camel case but the target is lowercase. On Unix, that leads to a broken link. So while your point about the inconsistency is correct, it can create a problem on Unix.

Please follow this link to report bugs and request features. The more people who do so, the higher it gets prioritised.

https://tracker.adobe.com

Post the link to that bug/feature in this thread and others can vote for it.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Thank you for your feedback! The lack of this functionality baffles me, and frankly, it's a bit of a show-stopper for us. It recently reared its head because one of our staff generated Multiscreen HTML5 output that gets posted in the cloud without selecting the UNIX option and it broke the help for our product and our customers. We're moving more and more to cloud-based hosting for our output (I expect we'll move everything there within the next 12 months), so this is going to become a bigger issue. I can manually force myself to assign images, assets, etc. all-lowercase file names, but I would imagine there are internal files that I'll miss. And I'm the most technical RoboHelp user at my company. The others are way less technical - but the check box functionality made that a non-factor.

Anyway, one would expect RoboHelp Responsive HTML5 output should *easily* be able to be hosted on all the major cloud service providers, such as Azure, AWS, Google Cloud, Rackspace, etc.

Perhaps this is all much ado about nothing because there are obvious *simple and stable* solutions I don't know about?

Logging an issue...See bug Id: RH-2827

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't give any 100% guarantee but I think as long as you are disciplined with the links you create, the other internal stuff will take care of itself.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding, Peter. That only works for new projects - and it requires that my fellow RH users, who are way less technical, to be perfect at it.

I feel like there's got to be a reason Adobe left it out for Responsive HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I raised this oh, a few years ago, and Adobe doesn't seem to have any plans to fix it.

However, in RH 2017 there is a workaround. I am pasting it here as it was provided to me by the Adobe team:

Hi,
This option is not present in Responsive HTML5 UI. However, you can set this option in SSL file from backend. To do so:
1) Goto your project location.
2) Look for Responsive HTML5 ssl file.
3) Open it in any text editor(you can even use notepad)
4) Search for "<element name="m_nNamingRule" value="6657" />" line and set the value to "6673" instead of "6657". Save
5) Now generate Responsive output from Robohelp.

This workaround will work as long as no one edits or recreates the SSLs... I personally wouldn't choose this approach, but at least it's something.

In RH 2019, the option is missing from all SSLs (even WebHelp). I have logged this issue and it's in "to track" status... whatever that means. Please vote on it, maybe we bring it closer to the Adobe radar It is also a showstopper for a few teams in my company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp