• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 2019 and SharePoint Online Settings

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, we are in the process of upgrading from RoboHelp 2017 to RoboHelp 2019 and I am having trouble getting the SharePoint connection to work for version control. When we upgraded our current project, it removed the SharePoint settings we had set up (it would have been nice to know that those wouldn't transfer over...it makes me worry that there are other settings that didn't transfer as well). I then figured out that although we used the SharePoint Connector in the 2017 version to connect to the version of SharePoint hosted on our company website, that is no longer an option with RoboHelp 2019.

We have Sharepoint Online accounts, so it's possible to switch over to SharePoint Online, but when I add a connection profile nothing happens. I'm signed in and connected, but no folders show up in the selection window (see below) even though there are folders on the Sharepoint site:

selectionwindow.jpg

The RoboHelp instructions were so vague that they aren't any help. When I was on the phone with Adobe support, the woman I talked to said they had more detailed instructions but didn't send them over after repeated requests. The Adobe support staff I spoke to on the phone were unable to help me and didn't seem to have much experience with connecting RoboHelp to Sharepoint Online.

Are there certain settings I need to enable on the Sharepoint site in order for this to work? Does anyone have a more detailed step by step documentation of this process?

If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it. Setting up Sharepoint version control for the 2017 version was pretty easy so I had no idea this would be such a problem.

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Apologies for your trouble.

Let's discuss this issue over a screen share call. Please suggest the time for tomorrow.

We are in IST zone so please suggest accordingly.

Thanks and Regards,
Surbhi Maheshwari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our office will likely be closed tomorrow because of the cold (possible wind chill of -55°F). I have some availability today between 11am-1pm CST (which looks like is 10:30pm-12:30am in IST). On Thursday, I am available between 10am-4pm CST. Please let me know if any of those times will work. As I mentioned in my original post, any documentation you have on settings for setting up the SharePoint connection would also be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey... just been through this myself. Here's what I found.

That Filters screen is only looking in the Documents document library on your site (not a subsite).

For me, I had to create a new site, then add an empty folder in the default "Documents" document library.

Hope this helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, neatsweller! I really appreciate the help. I'm able to see the folder now. I had tried creating a "document library" folder specific to the project and didn't realize that the folder had to be under the main Documents area of the top level site.

I wasn't able to add the project to Sharepoint from RoboHelp (it ended up erasing everything), but I tried adding the project files to Sharepoint first and was able to download the project to RoboHelp and it looks like it's synced now. Some of the files have a "source reference broken" icon, though, and I need to figure out what's going on with that.

Since you've been working with this, do you have any other helpful info/advice with the collaboration features of 2019? In 2017 RoboHelp, my co-workers and I used the File Status pod a lot to see who had files checked out and who had last modified them. Do you know if there's an equivalent in the new version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, unfortunately this is as far as I've got.

It looks like the days of checking in/out seamlessly are gone. Appears that you have to check out files manually? I'm not sure how that works for things like the TOC, variables, snippets, etc. I need to do much more testing and playing to figure it all out.

But I agree, I can't see anything anywhere in robo that shows what the checkin/out/modified status is, which will make it very, very difficult to work on multi-author projects.

I'll let you know if I find anything along the way though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I started to edit a page and realized that it didn't automatically check out. I didn't get a notification about checking it out until I tried to save the page.

Looks like if you try to add a new book/page to the TOC, it asks you to check out the TOC file first.

I also can't figure out how to check this files back in. Right-clicking on a topic lets you check it out, but once it's checked out there's not a "Check in" option when you right click on the topic (I also miss the "undo checkout" option since we've had to use that to fix mistakes a few times). I tried to check in from the Collaborate menu, but the window doesn't list any files I have checked out.

Check_in.png

It's really too bad. I was looking forward to the 2019 updates, but if multi-author collaboration doesn't work, we might have to go back to 2017.

Definitely let me know if you find anything. I'll let you know if I figure anything out as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noticed the checkout prompt when you save, which is better than nothing I guess...

But I'm having the same problem with check-ins. I've got an open ticket with adobe, so have sent them a few billion questions. Will let you know if they have any answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please upgrade RoboHelp to update 5. We have fixed the check-in dialog.

We still don't show the list of checked-out files in any pod but we have it on our roadmap for upcoming updates.(being tracked through:RH-3940)

Please try the check-in dialog after upgrading to update 5 and let us know all other issues you are facing.

You should be able to add any project to SharePoint as well.

Thanks and Regards,
Surbhi Maheshwari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to update 5 and the checked-out files appear in the window now and are able to be checked in.

Do you have an approximate timeframe for the update that will allow us to see a list of checked out files? Also, will this list display who has checked the file out? We won't be able to switch over as an organization until we have that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Has anyone properly setup RoboHelp 2020 to work with versioning in SharePoint Online (SPO) for multiple users? I have the latest version for RH 2020.  I added a proejct to theSPO document library and have had other users to connect but they cannot downlaod the project to their desktops. It cannot be a permission issue since the other authors have FULL acces to the SPO library.

It's really frustrating since this set up worked pretty well with RH2017 and SharePoint.

By the way, where did the "Undo Check Out" button go in RH 2020? It was pretty useful tool in 2017. 

Please help....

JMJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Can I run the RoboHelp program itself off of Sharepoint?

I work in NYS government. Currently, I'm using Robo 2017 on a desktop computer.

I'm told that soon, we (actually, I'm a contractor here) will soon convert to VDI -- some sort of virtual desktop, whereby I will no longer have a desktop computer.  This is in addition to voluminous firewalls and other security measures here.

So, I'm not clear what, if anything, you can run from a network:

RoboHelp program files?

Source files for the project?

Output files?

Any help or new knowledge appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Thiel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it is only the output that can run on SharePoint but that's a very different thing to a virtual machine. The usual issue for Government agencies is authentication of RoboHelp. There are some special arrangements to cover that. I think you need to find out more and then you or your IT guys will need to liaise with Adobe Support.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Thanks for your reply.

I thought the same thing -- output only. I don't see how the program itself can be run from a network location and publish to another network location, as well.

With Sharepoint issues alone, I see comments saying that (if I understand correctly) you can only publish to a site-level domain, not to a subsite or subfolder.)

The customer (NYS gov) says that for security reasons, no one will have a desktop computer, and all software will live on their network (with all the security).  No USB ports or any other kind of port.

I don't see how this is going to work with RoboHelp, or what will happen to my project when the virtual desktop thing is implemented.

(In the past, I have tried keeping source files on a network. Not program files, source files. Everything looks okay at first, but then there are anomalies that increase over time.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might help to think of VDI as your computer sitting in a server room, rather than on/under your desk. You'll still have a "computer", you just won't be able to touch it physically. So Robohelp would be installed on this personal server room computer, not on a network share, and would access the network just like it does from your current desktop computer.

This is a simplification, but I think it's a useful metaphor.

(There are also a couple of methods of doing virtual desktops, so I think it is important to work with your IT guys and Adobe Support, as Peter said.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to Amber's reply, I have run RoboHelp on a virtual machine and it's fine provided the virtual machine's operating system is Windows and the network speed is sufficient.

Probably you will find that creating topics and so on is fine but generating an output may take a little longer.

Sorry but it's a wait and see situation.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp