• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 2020 - Unable to use (some) custom fonts

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Adobe RoboHelp 2020 (Trial) and imported a MS-Word document to test out RH. I'm familiar with the concepts used in RH, having worked with an older version in the past.

The problem I'm having now is with custom fonts. My company uses custom fonts called "Facto" which is installed on my PC. When I navigate to C:\Windows\Fonts on my PC, the "Facto" fonts appears as a folder of sorts (font family perhaps?) which contains 12 sub-types, like "Facto Medium", "Facto ExtraBold", "Facto Thin", etc...

Now, the problem I see in RH is that only some of the fonts appear to be usable:

- Facto

- Facto Thin

- Facto Light

- Facto Medium

- Facto ExtraBold

All the other font variations appear in the font list, but they simply won't apply to contents when I try to use them.

What I also noticed is that all the fonts that won't work are the ones which have built-in "modifiers", like Bold or Italic. For instance:

- Facto Italic

- Facto Light Italic

- Facto Bold

- Facto Bold Italic

- Facto ExtraBold Italic

- Facto Medium Italic

- Facto Thin Italic

While I definitely can apply "Bold" or "Italic" to the base "Facto" font in RH via a style, the end-result is slightly different than the dedicated font. For this reason, I would like to be able to use the dedicated "Facto Bold" or "Facto Italic" fonts instead.

Is that possible? Is there some kind of limitation?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible you need to specify those fonts using the @Font-face css rule. Have a look at Peter Grainge's site for a demo of how to do it. I think there's also a snippet for additional steps if you need to use the font in the skin.

www.grainge.org

Let us know if it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does not seem to do anything, unfortunately.

What's interesting is that fonts like "Facto Bold" does show up in the drop-down list when selecting a font family for a style within the CSS. However, instead of the font's name being displayed using the actual font, it shows up in "Times New Roman" (default font, I guess). 

Font-Lists.png

Also, when selecting Facto Bold, the Preview area is displayed with Times New Roman, so the font appears not to be applied.

Anywho, looking closely at the outputs, I'm sorta led to think that applying "Bold" to "Facto" actually selects the "Facto Bold" font in the background, somehow.

In MS-Word, applying bold (via inline formatting) to the basic "Facto" font does not give me the same result as selecting the actual "Facto Bold" font. However, in RH, it looks like selecting the "Bold" option actually selects the appropriate font as opposed to just "fattening" the characters like MS-Word does, if that makes sense? Or perhaps RH is just more accurate when applying bold, I don't know...

Anways, the end-result is good enough that I think we can put this one to rest for now. However, I'd be interested to learn a bit more about how custom fonts are managed within RoboHelp 2020. Looking at the screenshot above, there seems to be some quirks that I perhaps don't understand or which may not be behaving quite as they should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It might be a Word Quirk vs The Internet Way, rather than a Robohelp specific thing. 

You'd need to go to Adobe for details about how Robohelp works though. If you want to try, see the following page for support contact options:
https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp