• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 7 HTML - Begin a new project based on existing one

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.  I'm a tech novice, looking to create a NEW help file for a different software program of ours based on an EXISTING RH7 file we have.  I need to leave the old one as is, as that will continue to evolve and be further edited, need both to run parallel now.  This new one would be based on the existing file, but with new tweaks and features.  Looking for the best way to do this.

I found an old post that read this:  'Copy project folder itself, then open and rename it in RH. This should leave the original project and an exact copy with a new name.', and the moderator felt this was the right solution.

However, that doesn't leave me comfortable enough with what I need to do.  Can anyone expand a bit more?  Ex; What is that folder I need to copy, where is it?  I expect the folder that has the same name as my project and is in here: C:\Program Files\RoboHelp Office\RoboHTML, but then where should I put it after I copy it, same folder?  I guess I'd make sure that new folder has the name of the new project I'd want?  How do I get to it from RH, is that just the 'Open' folder I see under my existing projects on the main RH screen?  Apologies for the novice speak, I'm just most terrified of ruining my existing file, that would be horrible.

Years ago I created a new project from our even older one and imported topics one by one - that took forever.  Don't want to do that again if I can avoid it.

Thanks!

Amanda

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

See if this video helps.

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Captiv8r,

Sounds like I have the same task at hand as Amanda had.  I need to keep my current version going, but create a new project that includes all the old to start working on a UI update we'll be launching this fall.  You're link to the video is not working.  If you still have it, can you post again, please?

Thanks,

Jonell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh yep!

Ran out of room on ScreenCast. Hang on and I'll see if I can find it and upload to YouTube.

Okay, I think this is the one. Still uploading but give it a look over in a while and see what you think.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent...thanks Rick.  Easy-peasy!!  One follow-up question...I see a couple paths for images in the projects.  I'm hoping to just swap out images in my new project, and I'm pretty sure I can, but just want to double-check. 

When I click on an image in a topic and right-click > Image Properties, the Image Name at the top of the pop-up box has a path to a folder outside my project.  e.g. C:\MyProjects\HelpImages.  However it appears the image file is also in my various project folders e.g C:\MyProjects\Project1 and C:\MyProjects\Project2 (the copy).  In this case where I am using Project2 to launch edits for a new UI update to our software, I should be able to just overwrite the image files in the Project2 directory, right?  I don't have to do anything in the generic HelpImages folder? 

So, is that browse to Image Name field just taking me to where the original file was referenced, but the one RoboHelp uses is the one in the project?  Why doesn't it point to the Project-level image files?  This part is confusing me.

Thanks!!

Jonell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm, I know it's possible to hard code a path to an image in a project and if you do that, indeed it will behave oddly. For example, it may work fine as long as the project is on your system, but the moment you copy the output to a different system things will fall apart.

Normally, when you insert an image, you use RoboHelp to browse to and choose the image. And those actions cause the image to be copied to the project. Normally, the images are copied to the project root folder. So it's a bit of a mystery as to why you are seeing the hard coded image references.

Once an image is in your project, you should be able to update the image by simply using Windows Explorer to replace the one that was there with the new one. And as long as nothing else changes, the project won't care and the new image should appear. The only possible caveat I am aware of is if the actual size of the image changes. And if that happens, it's as simple as right-clicking the image and choosing to reset the size.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, I'll do some testing before I go live with my work process.  I mostly use either the RH Insert Image (to select from the outside folder) or copy/paste straight from RoboScreenCapture (this most often).  Nothing broke with my original project when I updated machines a couple years ago, so I should be good.  Thanks again for talking this out with me!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp