Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 9 Problem with Merging

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using robohelp project version 9 and integrated with TFS for versioning control.

But in my organization, we are maintaining version like branch wise for customer.

e.g. I have branch 1.1 and 1.2 and 1.3

1.1  is nothing but whole project but contains 10 functions available  for customer (10 functions source code is available )

1.2  is also whole project but contains 2 functions available for customer (only 2 functions source code is available )

If in future  new function need to add or customer which is using 1.1 branch application they want new additional functions then we will create new branch like 1.1.1

In this case we need to move all source code from branch 1.1 to 1.1.1 branch (this is called up merging)

Also some times we need to do Down merging also ( means merging from upper branch to lower branch 1.1.1 to 1.1.)

so here 1 customer is using 1.1 version application and another customer is using 1.1.1 version application.

here 2 customer are using same application but branch is different. So we are working on branch-wise.  so code also different.

After some time we need to move code from 1.1 branch  to 1.1.1 branch, so we are doing this with TFS Merging tool.

and we have problem of merging with RoboHelp project.

Problem is as following :

1. merging is binary merging with robohelp  (if we do up merging then whole upper branch source code got replaced with lower branch code.)

it is not giving option to merge only new things which are not present in upper branch.

Do you have any solution for merging problem ?

Please suggest or help for this problem

Thanks in advance !

Nikhil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not entirely sure I understand your problem but let's see.

In a merge the parent must have a reference to each child project that might be included. The first time you generate, all the children should also be generated. When you install for a customer, you must include the parent, obviously, and then with webhelp you can install whichever of the children you want.

With source control, I'm guessing you are generating the parent and children to different branches. Maybe you are not updating the parent as you add new children.

As I say, I'm not really clear on the issue as the source control branching complicates it.

Maybe one of the topics at Merged Help on my site will help.

BTW. With RoboHelp 9 you are likely to run into issues with how any webhelp renders in different browsers. Many posts if you dig back through these forums.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short and simple..

parent branch contains 10 topic in .chm file (robo help project -- TOC -- topic of count is 10)

and child branch contains on 3 topic in chm file (robo help project -- TOC -- topic of count is 3)

Now when we do merge from child to parent using TFS tool we got Parent branch with only 3 topics.

Means it is not merging with parent project with child project, but it is overriding parent project with child.

we need output as parent project should contains 13 topics . (parent 10 + child 3 topic = 13 topic in parent TOC )

is it possible ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think we should forget about the branching and source control other than the fact that to generate a project, you must have the whole project checked out. You then generate locally and once you know it is AOK, you check back in.

Does the merge work OK at the point you generate locally and test it? If it does, that suggest there is something wrong with the source control set up rather than the merging.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp