• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp change TOC name in left navigation

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to edit and/or delete some of the navigation items in the left navigation panel?

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of RH? What layout are you using? Can you post a screenshot of what you are looking to change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes hold on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have version 11. See below. I have to edit one, and remove one

screen.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What layout are you using? That looks like a WebHelp skin, not an HTML5 Responsive layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have both. One is for 508 and we also have HTML 5 Responsive

But the thing is, I'm trying to make the edits in Dreamweaver

Do you know what the file name is that RoboHelp generates for the left navigation?

The developers are worried that running a document through again will generate different link names and we just want to do minor editing instead

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just the Table of Contents you've got applied to the project output - why waste your time messing about in the output when it's so simple to just edit the TOC in the project & regenerate the output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it's a HUGE user guide and the developers already have links in the application that point to topics in the RoboHelp guide. If file names change, then the links within the application will have to change. Do you know what the file name is for that left nav? There are so many files generated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea - I don't bother poking around in the JS controls. Your filenames & links won't change at all if you edit what the TOC presents; editing the name shown on the TOC or removing an entry doesn't impact the actual topics at all. If my TOC says "ABC" points to topic "blah blah blah", then changing it to read "DEF" still points to the same topic. If it remove the link in the TOC, the topic is still there in your project, just that you can't get to it directly from the TOC navigation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are changing file names, the developers are going to have to change their URLs. They are not calling them through the TOC so I am not seeing why you need to edit the TOC.

You change the file name in RoboHelp and the TOC gets changed automatically. You or the developers upload the output and as long as they correct the URL in the app, that's it.

You say The developers are worried that running a document through again will generate different link names and we just want to do minor editing instead

What do you mean by "running a document through again"? As above, changing file names does not affect what the user sees in the TOC and the changed file name from there got handled by RoboHelp. Only the URL in the app needs to be considered.

The TOC in the ouput is not a single file but I can't see a need to edit that. Please clarify.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I'm trying to ask a simple question. Is it possible to edit the left navigation wording in the left navigation panel by just pulling that file into dreamweaver and edting  either the HTML or the JAVASCRIPT?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Simple questions don't always have simple answers but if you want a simple answer, I think the answer is there is no easy way.

What I was driving at was the simple answer should be you regenerate and the developers change the URLs for the file names you have changed in their code.

The index as in the Index tab in RoboHelp is also split and the index.htm is the startpage.

There is no single file to edit and the questions were really to establish why you needed to do that anyway. I've not seen any developers need that area edited in twenty odd years of using RoboHelp. Knowing that might have helped to suggest a solution but there again, it might not.

Sorry I can't give you the answer you need based on what I know.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it make be called "index" file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is YES do it in RH & NO don't waste your time in the output files - you could have done it & tested it already by now.

PS - if you really want to risk screwing up your output, have a look at the whtdataX.htm files in the \webhelp\whdata\ folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp