Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp HTML 10

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks,

I apologize if this has been hashed out before. In a previous post in 2013 about project files on a server, the answer was that no RH versions before RH 10 is supported in any way with working project files on a server. We are using RH HTML 10 with the project files on a server. So based on this reply I would then assume that this is now OK. However, when we attempt to move a whole folder to become a sub-folder of another folder RH stalls and then when we have to stop RH and start again, the sub-folder's topics are all with the red X.

What we have done to get around this is to create the sub-folder and then move the individual topics to the sub-folder. That works OK, slow going but it works.

I have 3 questions please:

1. Is this normal for RH HTML 10?

2. Is there something we can do to stop the freezing when we attempt to move a folder to become a sub-folder?

3. My concern is that if we do all this work with individual moving topics and then RH freezes are we going to loose all the work we have already done. We are saving as we go.

Many thanks

Monica

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I recognise your name from a WritersUA Conference? If so, I hope you are keeping well.

The caveat that Adobe gave with working off a network server was that it would work on some networks, not necessarily all. I assume what you are doing is moving the folder within Project Manager. Provided you are, how long are you leaving it before assuming it has failed. I'm wondering if you left things say overnight, would the move then have resurrected itself?

Create a backup first. I always recommend creating the backup as a zip file. That prevents you opening it accidentally and working on it before you realise it was the backup. This way you always have a clean backup that can be used to create a new clean copy time after time.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.

I was at a WritersUA Conference in Long Beach a few years ago.

Moving folder within Project Manager - Yes

Length of time before aborting - between 30 and 45 minutes

Overnight - unfortunately that cannot happen as the client is on a restricted server that is switched off at night.

The current workaround I've suggested is that I use my own laptop, which is not connected to the server, to create the new structure. Save it and load it onto the client's server. I head back to my own state on the weekend and they are on their own, with I guess a bit of support from me...as much as I know or can research for them.

My questions are then:

• Is the client now stuck having to not use the project on the server if they want to move more than one topic at a time?
  • Is this still a problem with later versions of RoboHelp?

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For some reason I am thinking Seattle or Portland but I was at the Long Beach conference.

Is the client now stuck having to not use the project on the server if they want to move more than one topic at a time?

Does this problem occur with folders only containing one topic? If it is that bad, then perhaps the answer is yes.

Is this still a problem with later versions of RoboHelp?

The problem is really the server. As above, whether or not RoboHelp will work on a server depends on the network. That said a simple project might work on a network that is too slow for a more complex project.

Given what you have found, my inclination is this network is not suitable. Maybe their IT guys can look at performance?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp