Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp HTML Output not compatible with IE 10/11

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2015 Jan 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My team is facing an issue with the WebHelp output generated using RoboHelp 11 (11.0.1.235). When we try to open the Output in IE 10 and IE 11, they work fine. But, when the Dev and QA teams try from their machines, the pages are just blank. This issue continues after integrating the Help with the application. The Dev team uses a RoboHelp patch (a .exe file) to perform the integration. Can anyone guide us on what is causing this issue? We are not quite sure if it is because of any settings or configurations or because of the patch used by the Dev team. We tried deleting the cache and history on IE.

As we have a release coming soon, any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we might need a bit more info about where and how you’re viewing the WebHelp – is it located on a web server or on a LAN server? That has an impact on browser security settings – not just IE, but Chrome and FireFox too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff for the quick reply. The files are located on a LAN server. The other teams are facing issues even after copying the files onto their local machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would have the same impact (copying the files to a local drive – all browsers consider LAN drives and local C: drives as being local and therefore unsecure). The easiest way to fix this up is to get patched up like Peter says, regenerate the help and replace it within the packaging of your product. That should make it work for all browsers. I’ve found that users have to allow the blocked ActiveX content on their IE browser and you definitely have to allow JavaScript to run for any of it to work. I’ve recommended adding the server help location as a “Trusted Location” in IE11 to allow it to render my help correctly. BTW – you don’t mention if you enabled “Mark of the Web” or not in your output (I don’t with mine).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2015 Jan 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had a similar issue with IE10. I would generate WebHelp and the TOC would show up fine in the browser; but, when I clicked on a topic in the TOC, only a blank page would display. I went through all of the listed troubleshooting tips I could find on the HTML RoboHelp forum and nothing worked...HOWEVER, when I right-clicked my browser bar at the top and deselected a toolbar option from the menu to get a little more viewing space to troubleshoot, the blank WebHelp page displayed and the WebHelp folder functioned perfectly after that.

I exited, then re-entered the WebHelp folder via the index.htm file. I experienced the same blank page issue in the browser. Again, I right-clicked the browser top bar and selected a toolbar option (any select or deselect option worked) and the page content popped up and the entire WebHelp functioned perfectly again. So whenever I get this issue, I simply perform those actions and the WebHelp works fine. It appears that you must do it every time you open the file in IE10.  I cannot even begin to tell you why this is true.

I wonder if it has to do with one of the latest Security Updates or .NET updates in Windows?

Any ideas folks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2015 Jan 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first impression would be that you haven’t got all the patches loaded that fixed these issues with IE10/11 and Chrome. My second would be that fiddling around with browser toolbars may be forcing a refresh that makes it work in fits and starts. I’d apply the fixes – it’s easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I have downloaded everything that applies to RH9 updates...What additional fixes are you talking about?  I reinstalled the software, installed all the patches. Our patches with IE10 are handled by IT and they are up-to-date. We do not use Chrome. We do use IE10 and Firefox. Everything works perfectly in Firefox. Are there specific Adobe patches available that I am unaware of or that are published by third parties?

I have followed at least a dozen processes, steps, and code changes/additions called out on these forums--everything I could find by plowing through/searching through dozens of forums that might even be remotely related. However, some of the links provided were disallowed by our browser security.  No Joke, I literally was banging my head against my desk in frustration yesterday, LOL. Our IT guy was flummoxed as well...and I can tell you...he is gifted...LOL!

This happened during my customer's verification of my online help, which had gone through extensive testing and validation. It worked perfectly until THREE DAYS ago when I generated the WebHelp with a few minor text fixes. That is when the Search function quit working and this bug appeared. That is why I thought it might be related to a Windows .NET or security update.

Fixed the Search function by copying the missing files to the appropriate wh folder from a previous build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not all the fixes have been bundled into Help > Updates patches – some you have to install yourself. See Willam’s post about patches – he’s got the links to the Adobe KB articles and downloads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you were correct about the browser refresh. A simple F5 will cause the content on the page to appear, but not the entire OLH. The toolbar selection/deselection will enable ALL content on the browser. Interesting, yes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2015 Jan 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you can find the list of all official and unofficial patches for RH: http://www.wvanweelden.eu/articles/robohelp-patches-and-updates

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2015 Jan 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has the customer's help been entirely replaced rather than just uploading some of the files?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2015 Jan 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lagonkd In an offline email you advised me...

My problem (and the interesting workaround):

1. I would launch my WebHelp index.htm file. My Online help Welcome page and TOC would display perfectly.

2. Any topic I selected in the TOC would display a blank page.

3. I performed many, many suggestions you and others had in forums...nothing worked. (Yes, I literally beat my forehead against my desk today....)

4. Pulled my IT guy in to see if it was an imaging problem or Windows security update incompatibility issue.

5. We right-clicked the top of the browser bar (right-clicking the Menu bar works too). When the toolbars menu popped up, we deselected one of the toolbar options to make space....magically, the blank topic page displayed its content and the online help worked fine after that.

6. We exited the WebHelp folder, then reopened it. The issues in steps 1 and 2 above occurred again. We performed the toolbar action, and again, the blank page displayed its content and the online help worked perfectly afterwards. Any toolbar option selected or deselected would bring up the hidden content. It appears that you must perform the toolbar action once each time you open the WebHelp folder...

You have tacked on to an existing thread and I cannot see anywhere that you have mentioned which version of Rh you are using. There was a version where when you opened the help it displayed a blank page but if you resized the window, it then displayed. I think that when you change the toolbars displayed it is having the same effect as resizing the window did. I believe the problem was resolved with a patch for that version.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm noting that the Dev team "use a RoboHelp patch" to perform the integration. Do you mean the API to call the help or something else?

You should be on the latest patch to Rh (11.0.3). See the Announcements in the forum for a link to the patch details and an update not available via Help > Update. However, if the help is working for you in the same browser, it would seem that something else is at play.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Peter. We are using both RH9 and RH11. This issue happened with both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Focus on RH11 first. Do you have all the patches applied? (11.0.4 should show if you have)

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp