I recently noticed that my HTML5 output wasn't working on iPhone, iPad, and macOS Safari.
First I thought something was wrong with my own scripts, but after some digging, I found that it's a bug in the native RH JS files.
That means that none of your HTML5 RoboHelp projects will work properly on current iPhones, iPads, and Macs (= devices running iOS 10 or macOS Sierra).
This is a major bug that should be addressed as soon as possible. The bug has already been filed by Alexandra Duffy one month ago, but it is still "Unverified": Bug#4192629 - Safari 10 update has caused HTML5 Help from RH to stop working.
Luckily enough, Edward Doris has already posted a bugfix in the above bug report. It seems to solve the problem on all devices. However, implementing the bugfix requires advanced JS knowledge.
Please provide an official bugfix as soon as possible.
The last version I have is: 126.96.36.1990 So it seems you have an older build.
Oops.. Didn't see you pop in there!
LOL. Better two answers than none, right? 😉
Rats. When I went to Help > Updates, I see this:
Do you get anything happening if you go via Files > Help > Updates or is just the same screen (I can't tell since I haven't got RH2015 installed yet).
I see the same screen using that navigation path…
rats - any corporate IT things in place blocking you? Anti-virus, firewalls, etc.?
I just discussed this situation with the Security dude that sits near me. While we don't see anything that would visually tell us the update is being blocked, he is going to check the logs in a few minutes to be certain.
Is there another place where I can download the update? I just checked Adobe - Support : RoboHelp Support Center : Service Releases and it is still not showing the update. I'm not certain that is where I should be looking as that site has a lot of broken links:
Mine seems to be showing this:
So it would appear you need to update.
I need this update to fix the iOS device problem, but I do not want to lose control over shutting off TOC, Index and Glossary panes. I had to roll back to Rel. 3 to remedy that problem.
Is this also fixed in 188.8.131.520? I do not want to install the update only to find that I need to repeat the whole rollback process.
Just as a wrap-up to this (from my POV), I came in to work yesterday (Tuesday, 11/8) and checked File > Help > Updates and the update was available. I installed it, recompiled, reviewed each page, and then told the Dev who had reported the issue to me on 11/1, that I had recompiled the help and to view the help system on Safari 10.0.1. He reported back that it did not have the same issue so from my perspective, the update resolved the issue.
Have a good day.
Thank you, Abishek. Would be great if you could update the downloadable original JS files (js-files.zip) as well.
(It might be helpful to include a version number for that file, e.g. js-files-v2.zip, so users can easily check if the files have been updated.)
Provided you can get this update (184.108.40.2060), I tested it on Safari 10 and it works now.
I was able to get it through Files > Help > Updates.
So far, I haven't been able to access the update... Sigh...