Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp11 is crashing very often

Participant ,
Mar 27, 2015 Mar 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am doing some work in my projects consisting of moving pictures and reassigning them in the projects, and RoboHelp is crashing very often. I have to save my work very often too in order that I do not loose too much of the changes.

I am running RoboHelp on a Windows 7 Professional virtual machine with 8GB of RAM and 2 processors, each with 2 cores. RoboHelp is at its latest update.

Do I have to do any particular tweaking on this machine in order to not have this happen so often?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try closing the project and renaming the <projectname>.cpd file to something like <projectname>old.cpd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I did that, and hope it will be OK.

I will give it one hour, and if it does not crash till then, this is the solution.

I will let you know, OK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did not crash in the last hour, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I spoke too soon...

Do I have to do this procedure every time it starts crashing like that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any pattern to when it crashes. For example, are the images inside tables or is it only one project that is affected. Are any other edits being performed? Where are the image files being moved from / to? Thrashing the .CPD file can help, but this sounds like there maybe an underlying cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 30, 2015 Mar 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens most of the times as I am in the dialog when I am looking for a picture to assign it in a text.

The screen goes whiteish and then I get the message that RoboHelp stopped working, and all I can do is restart it and hope for the better.

Before I did that operation with that file that you suggested it was crashing almost every 5 minutes, and after I renamed the file it got better, however after a hour or so it began doing it again.

Right now, I am doing a lot of pictures "manipulations" as I have them all over the project and I am trying to put them in only one folder, and because of the risk of crash I save my work every 5 minutes or so. But it is slowly getting on my nerves.

It is not happening just with one project, unfortunately, so I guess it is a RoboHelp issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would beg to differ. The fact that it is only happening in one project suggests the problem is the project or something the project is interacting with. Does it crash before, during or after you select the image you are adding? How many images are there and where are they located? Could you give us the path to them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is happening for other projects, so it is not limited to only one.

I have a fairly amount of pictures and all of them are located in different folders inside the project's folder. Right now I am in the process of putting all pictures in only one folder for each project, and doing the corresponding reassignment inside the projects. And as I am opening the dialog for searching the picture, or as I am already inside this dialog, or when I am about to finish (click on Open) in this dialog, this is when the crashing is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have you run robohelp as administrator so far ?

If not , please do.

Also before you do that please go to the following location C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\RoboHTML and rename the 11.00 folder to 11.00_old and then run robohelp as administrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try to run RoboHelp as Administrator. I know that Win7 has this issue with the role of administrator, and I saw that a lot of software, in order to function properly, have to be ran as Administrator.

I will let you know if it is crashing so often, OK?

Thank you for your suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great ! In the meanwhile let me see if there are other things we can look into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still doing it. I just opened a project, tried to look for a picture in the Select Image File dialog, and as I was looking for the picture, it crashed.

So this is not a solution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I misread your mention of it happening on many projects.

Where are the images located? If they are on a network drive, try copying them to a local drive (e.g. Desktop).

Is there anything unusual about these images? For example, are they all the same file type? How large are they?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating a brand new project, add a couple of topics and then try adding your images to them. Does RH crash? If not, try importing a few of the topics from one of your live projects. Then try adding the images to them. Let us know how you get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images are local in the project folder. I do not have any network based images.

The size is fairly small, under 100KB.

Regarding your next suggestion about creating a new project and try to do some operations on it, I do not think I have the necessary time for that. I have to do the same thing to 8 more projects, i.e. "centralizing" all the images in one folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may install the update for robohelp using this link : Adobe - Support : RoboHelp Support Center : Service Releases

Then run robohelp using admin.

What output are you publishing ? Where is it being published ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest update installed, i.e. 11.0.4.297, so I do not think there is a better update available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to reinstall ?

Could you also share at what point it crashes ? I mean during publish or inserting image etc?

Do you have any other version of robohelp as well on this machine ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave RoboColumn, if you check above, all the details that you are asking me.

I would try to reinstall, but I do not think I will do it today, maybe tomorrow.

The crashing, at least for the time being, does not have anything to do with publishing. As I was telling RoboColumn before, it is happening during the process of reassigning of images, i.e. I was having them before scattered inside the project folder, as imports happened, and I am in the process of having all pictures in one folder inside the project's folder.

I do not have any other version of RoboHelp on my machine.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would doubt it is the fact that your images are in different folders and that putting them all in one folder will make any difference. I have had projects set up both ways and it makes no difference.

Given that what Colum has suggested has not resolved the issue, I think I too would make the same suggestion as Anvinder. Sometimes people working on the forum will just respond without reading all the way through the thread, especially a long one and when they are pushed for time.

Post back when you have done the reinstall. Do make you apply the patches before testing your project.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply.

I did not say that this is the reason it is happening, I was merely stating what I was doing as RoboHelp was crashing.

It is during that reassigning that RoboHelp is crashing. Either as I am looking for the picture in the Select Image File dialog, or as I copy a file in that dialog.

Otherwise, RoboHelp is working fine, therefore I did not think of reinstalling it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just crashed again, and in the Adobe RoboHelp 11 has stopped working dialog there are the following details, if they help at all:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH

Application Name:    RoboHTML.exe

Application Version:    11.0.4.291

Application Timestamp:    54c7aa34

Fault Module Name:    StackHash_644b

Fault Module Version:    6.1.7601.18247

Fault Module Timestamp:    521ea8e7

Exception Code:    c0000374

Exception Offset:    000ce753

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4

Locale ID:    1033

Additional Information 1:    644b

Additional Information 2:    644ba64d41ef454cab3189c818f83918

Additional Information 3:    1e0a

Additional Information 4:    1e0ab6a2ed6a41f8c08a48dc21cca1cb

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that would only help Adobe.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would there be any way to let them know about that?

Is there a support e-mail address or a forum?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp