Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp2015 HTML5: Creating master project

Participant ,
Apr 19, 2016 Apr 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm documenting a very large, complex software application. I'm considering creating a master project and child projects for a number of reasons, including size of the projects individually and as a complete project.

The help file will be stored on a central server which all  users access from their locations. It was decided that putting the help file on each client's site was not a good idea.

1. Should I create HTML5 or WebHelp? Is there a benefit one over the other?
  2. The software is set up to assign a URL to each screen in the system and then the system calls that help file. Will master/child projects support this?
  3. Will cross-project links continue to work? Again, is there a benefit one over the other of format?

I have the read the RoboHelp2015 help, reviewed the Forum and read some helpful articles on Peter Grainge's web site, but want assurance (I guess) before I make many huge, time-consuming changes.

Thanks,

MDawn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

When you say HTML 5, are we to assume you mean "Responsive" HTML 5? I ask, because there are two different layouts that are HTML 5. One is "Responsive" HTML 5 where the output "Responds" to the viewable area and navigational elements reposition themselves accordingly. The other is "Multiscreen" HTML 5. In that one, you have different outputs based on the device type. And a page that is launched to determine what group of files to be used.

I think the big question here is to ask if you expect that users will be accessing the help with a variety of devices. If so, Responsive HTML 5 may be what you want. But if everyone is using a desktop, WebHelp may be more desirable. But Responsive would work in that scenario too.

I do believe Adobe is attempting to steer folks toward using Responsive more. It's likely the path moving forward.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To add to Rick's response...

The software is set up to assign a URL to each screen in the system and then the system calls that help file. Will master/child projects support this?

You can call both types of help using a URL to open the topic in either its child project only or to open the whole help at the required topic. The latter is best as it allows the user to then browse to all other topics. The format of the URL is somewhat more logical in responsive help. With WebHelp, the URL calls the parent home page and then you add the path to the child with a # tag between. With Responsive help it is just the path to the required topic.

Will cross-project links continue to work? Again, is there a benefit one over the other of format?

No difference in setting them up. If you currently have multiple projects that are not merged, it will depend on whether the relative path after merging is the same as it is now. Impossible to say without knowing how they work at them moment.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp