I have been using RH HTML version 8.02 for several months. Recently, after compiling, the Search results do not work. The Search tab shows Error: Failed to initialize database. This occurs when I compile locally and to the server. Running MJ's Diagnostics did not fix the problem.
Thanks for responding, Peter. I have not submitted a feature request yet, but if you think that approach might get more traction than my bug report, I'll go do so now. Thanks!
It might be that a bug report will get the response "As designed" whereas a feature request sets out why the design needs review, especially if you highlight your IT department's reasoning.
See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information
I submitted this a couple of years ago as a bug. I spent about 20 hours with Adobe support and they provided me with a solution that is above. Perhaps that is what generated the fix to 2015. However, I will have to wait, since I will not be updated to 2015 until I have completed a lengthy approval/IA review process, LOL...sigh...Looking forward to seeing what 2015 has to offer.
Well, i'm getting this error message in the latest version of Robohelp, so it seems that it isn't completely fixed About to try an uninstall/reinstall.
My mistake, it is indeed 11 i'm using.
After two months with zero activity on my bug report or help from Support, I stumbled on the RoboHelp 2015 Resolved Issues list, where I found that RoboHelp 2015 Update 2 fixes this issue:
Robohelp to become MSXML version agnostic.
After I had this update installed, lo and behold-- I can generate healthy Web Help again.
I am experiencing what may or may not be the same issue. I detected a problem with the search in a project I generated using RH 2019 Classic (Version 14.0.5.001). The search sometimes returns the expected results and sometimes does not. I sometimes get the message "No topics found" when I know topics exist that contain the search terms I am looking for. The issue does not appear to be browser related. When the search does not work, I get the same results in both IE and Chrome.
I deleted the .cpd file and regenerated the project. I got the same results as before.
I have both RH 2019 Classic and RH 2015. I decided to regenerate the project in RH 2015 (in case the issue was the result of using a different version of the software). When I generated the project and clicked the Search tab, the browser displayed the "Error: Failed to initialize database." message. That's when I did the forum search and found this post.
Since I am not certain my problem is the same one identified in this post, I have not yet tried all the options listed in this post. What I have done is delete the .cpd file and the files in the /!ssl!/ output folder for this project before regenerating the output files using both RH 2019 Classic and RH 2015. To eliminate the possibility that I was seeing cached results, I also cleared cached files from IE and Chrome.
I did not uninstall/reinstall either version of the software; this action would require contacting the IT team, so I haven't tried it yet.
I never used .chm files, so this issue is not the result of a conversion from .chm files. This project is also a standalone project, so there is no parent-child project relationship.
First, check if you have the latest updates installed and see if that fixes the issue. I couldn't see any relevant fixes in the release notes, but you never know.
There is an issue with RH2019 New affecting phrase searches, but as far as I know that isn't a problem in RH2019 Classic (and I haven't tried with RH2015).
To check, you'd have to inspect the html to see if an html tag begins or ends part way through the phrase in the topic. It wouldn't necessarily be visible when just viewing the topic as normal.
Disregard post 57. Not sure why, but the "exclude from search" box was checked on that topic (which is why the search couldn't find it). My bad.