• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search function not working. I have upgraded from RH8 to RH11 (WebHelp), now search function brings no results, 'Error: Failed to initialize database' appears.

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgraded from RH8 to RH11 (WebHelp), now search function brings no results, 'Error: Failed to initialize database' appears.

Referring to the solution to a similar issue with RH2015 provided by Ankit (26Aug15), my generated output has no "topictable_12_xml.js" file nder whxdata.

By stephenb21841505

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you also try the suggestions as set in the thread? (Installing/Reinstalling some software?)

The easiest to try is to uninstall and reinstall RoboHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do you have any baggage files in your project?

Try excluding the baggage files from search indexing before publishing the output.

I have highlighted this setting in the image below:(WebHelp> Properties)

Capture.JPG

Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Also, On which browser are you facing this issue?

Thanks and Regards,
Surbhi Maheshwari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello William and Surbhi thank you for responding. I have excluded all manner of baggage files and republished. When I click Search, the same error message 'Error: Failed to initialize database' appears. When I look at the generated output: in the whxdata folder, should there be a file with a topic list? When I compare it with the generate from my old RH8, there was a file topictable.xml and topictableindex.xml. I will now have our IT department reinstall the program and see if it solves the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I am using Internet Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced the same error with the Search function not working in help compiled using RoboHelp 2015. I uninstalled and reinstalled RoboHelp, but that did not fix the problem. I was finally able to fix the problem by installing MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 and MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 3 Parser on my laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, What are MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 and MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 3 Parser? Are they from Microsoft? In the meantime, I have had RH11 de-installed and re-installed but to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but did you have RH11 installed with full Admin rights? And then do all the latest patches to it? Then regenerated your help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had RH11 installed by our company help desk. Have there been patches issued since June last year (2015)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think so – check either downloads page on the Adobe site or Willam’s patches page on wvanweelden.eu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced something similar with our help, which was generated using RH9. The help works fine in IE9, but gets a little flaky in newer versions of IE. In IE11, the RH help search function says 'Error: Failed to initialize database.' If I go ahead and do a search anyway, it just returns 'null.'

Upgrading the help project to RH2015 seems to have solved the problem.

HTH,

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2016 Jan 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's because browsers keep "updating" their security & it forces RH to play catch-up to compensate. Seems like a never-ending cycle these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp