Highlighted

Search functionality no longer works in any of my recently generated HTML Help projects

Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Rh 10.0.1.292 and Rh 11.0.4.291 for different projects.


Recently, I've noticed that the Search feature returns no results, in any of my projects that are generated in either Rh10 or 11. I just get the "No topics found" message. This used to work.


The only thing that has been done recently (that I can think of) involved working with .slp files to fix an issue with the Glossary tab and the Search functionality in a Rh 11 Responsive HTML5 layout. (https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1690579) I can't, however, see how that would break the Search functionality in my HTML projects.


Any ideas?

In either Rh 10 and 11, whenever I generated a project as HTML Help (even an example project) the Search functionality was broken. Finally, when I couldn't think of what else to try, I uninstalled and reinstalled Rh 10, and that solved my problem--in both Rh 10 and 11!

Apparently some file was corrupted, but I don't know what was broken or what caused the corruption. I am still trying to get some clarification from Adobe, but so far, I have only received the following comments:

  • The robohelp cache folder and the preferences might have caused this.
  • The problem can be either with the updates on system.


If I should receive any definitive information, I will update this post.


Thanks.

Topics

HTML

Views

232

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Search functionality no longer works in any of my recently generated HTML Help projects

Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Rh 10.0.1.292 and Rh 11.0.4.291 for different projects.


Recently, I've noticed that the Search feature returns no results, in any of my projects that are generated in either Rh10 or 11. I just get the "No topics found" message. This used to work.


The only thing that has been done recently (that I can think of) involved working with .slp files to fix an issue with the Glossary tab and the Search functionality in a Rh 11 Responsive HTML5 layout. (https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1690579) I can't, however, see how that would break the Search functionality in my HTML projects.


Any ideas?

In either Rh 10 and 11, whenever I generated a project as HTML Help (even an example project) the Search functionality was broken. Finally, when I couldn't think of what else to try, I uninstalled and reinstalled Rh 10, and that solved my problem--in both Rh 10 and 11!

Apparently some file was corrupted, but I don't know what was broken or what caused the corruption. I am still trying to get some clarification from Adobe, but so far, I have only received the following comments:

  • The robohelp cache folder and the preferences might have caused this.
  • The problem can be either with the updates on system.


If I should receive any definitive information, I will update this post.


Thanks.

Topics

HTML

Views

233

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't imagine a dependence between the HTML5 layouts and HTML Help as you say.

What happens if you use one of the example projects? Is it broken in that case as well?

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In either Rh 10 and 11, whenever I generated a project as HTML Help (even an example project) the Search functionality was broken. Finally, when I couldn't think of what else to try, I uninstalled and reinstalled Rh 10, and that solved my problem--in both Rh 10 and 11!

Apparently some file was corrupted, but I don't know what was broken or what caused the corruption. I am still trying to get some clarification from Adobe, but so far, I have only received the following comments:

  • The robohelp cache folder and the preferences might have caused this.
  • The problem can be either with the updates on system.


If I should receive any definitive information, I will update this post.


Thanks.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odds are there was an errant DLL involved that reinstalling replaced and caused things to work again. You likely could have fixed it via the link below:

Click here to view

Just a note to also say that folks look at a product like RoboHelp and they see it as the "end all" solution. In reality, it does provide most of the functionality we see today. But the fact is, with CHM output, it hands the compiling process to the Microsoft HTML Help compiler. And things like Search and whatnot are then controlled by the Microsoft end for that output.

Cheers... Rick

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick for the timely reminder about Microsoft and CHM output, and for the useful link. I'll tuck that away for future reference.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...