• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search is returning results for non-topics in RH2015

Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2016 Jul 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In RH 2015 Help output, when I type a word that occurs both in topics and "non-topics" into the Search field, the search returns results for the "non-topics" as well as the topics.

• For example, if I type "DGMC" into the Search field, the search lists topics that have this acronym, as expected. But it also lists "Home > DGMC Help," which is not a topic: it's the title of the Help. A couple of the results also display the message "Your browser does not support JavaScript," etc. The browser does support Javascript and overall the Help works fine. (screenshot 1)
  • When you click one of the "DGMC Help" results, you get a blank topic with "DGMC" highlighted in the browse sequence, Or you get a blank topic showing the Contents, Search, and Glossary buttons. (screenshots 2 and 3)
  • If you type "DGMC Help" (not just "DGMC") into the Search field, you get the original blank or weird "DGMC Help" entries, but you also get a couple of "WebHelp Navigation Toolbar" and "WebHelp Navigation Mini-bar" entries. When you click the "Web Navigation Toolbar" entry, it returns a bright red screen with two rows of Contents, Search, and Glossary buttons. (screenshot 4)

Is this just an anomaly of RH 2015? Is there a way to fix it?

Probably another one for you, Willem!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you getting this happening with all browsers you use or just one in particular?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my system, the Help is running in IE. I'm checking with a colleague (he's off-site in another state at the moment) to see if he got the same result on other browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of IE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignore previous response. The problem occurs, in slightly varying forms, on Chrome and Firefox as well. On Firefox, some of the "DGMC Help" links do nothing; others show a blank topic screen that flashes, loops endlessly, and either locks or crashes the help. On Chrome, a couple of the "DGMC Help" links work (they go to the introductory topic). The others don't go anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IE on my machine is version 11. Chrome is v 51.0.2704.103. Firefox is 40.0.3. Note that at present, the management console that the help is called by only runs on IE. Our next version, due in Sept., will run on IE, Chrome, and FF, and possibly Edge and Safari.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you applied all the RH2015 patches that are out (3 I think) and regenerated the help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I applied the RH2015 patches, but I will verify and let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the 3 patches. I assume I already installed the first two because they failed. The third one (from 4/16) installed. My current RH version is 12.03.428. Is that what I should be seeing with all of the patches installed? Installing the third patch didn't solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify, after installing patch 3, I rebuilt the Help and got the same result as described in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you try one of the sample projects, do you get the same effect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to open a sample project in the RoboHelp 2015 folder, I get a message that the sample was created with an earlier version of RH and to make a backup and then update. I made the backup and then tried to open the sample. It wants an .HTM name. I have no idea what this is for and when I enter a name (say test.htm), it doesn't accept it. To get out of the problem I have to stop the RH process.  I don't have a lot of time to play with sample files that weren't created for RH 2015. Perhaps you could zip up and send me a current sample that is provided specifically for RH 2015?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternatively, I would be happy to zip up our RH project and send it to you. We didn't have this problem with our help before upgrading to RH2015, so I suspect changes introduced in RH2015 are causing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That wouldn’t work – all I’ve got for that version is an old beta of RH2015 & that doesn’t resemble the final production version out there now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can build the sample fine and it displays fine. I built it as webhelp. I don't know what I'd need to do to try to re-create the issue in the sample.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, since what you searched in your own project seemed to be part of the project name, I would think you might search for part of the sample project name.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2016 Jul 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem doesn't occur with the sample project (which, of course, is a very small project). I noticed that the sample used the option  to exclude unreferenced topics from output, so I selected that option and rebuilt our help. That resolved the behavior described above. However, our help contains a lot of topics that are not in the TOC. I don't know whether all of them are part of a browse sequence, but I doubt it. So, I assume this isn't really a fix because, in addition to excluding things we want excluded, a bunch of topics we do want users to be able to access might not be available. Is that right? I didn't find the explanation of the "exclude unreferenced topics" option to be very clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at Rick's explanation in this thread - Re: Is there any way to limit search hits to only the topics found in the TOC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. Rick's explanation was useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which sample project are you trying? All the samples that ship with RH2015 are for that version, but the application of the patches tricks it into thinking it needs upgrading – just ignore the warning and let it do its thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp