Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search pane not displaying all results

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We have several projects using the Charcoal-grey layout. The SSL Search options are set with "Show Context in Search Results" option unchecked. (In fact all SSL Search options are unchecked).

When we execute a search on the project in desktop layout, the search pane will only display a list of 14 results with no scrollbar, followed by "End of search results". But the Search pane is reporting "52 results found" at the top.

If we enable the SSL "Show Context...." option and then re-publish, the 14 items now cause the Search pane to have a scrollbar (because they are 3 lines each), and scrolling continues to load all 52 results.

What is the best solution this problem?

Corollary: What does the option "Number of results on a page" mean? It is not in the RH Help.

Thanks,

Jeanne Daniele

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean "what is the solution apart from the obvious"? (Enable the checkbox)

I have just tested Charcoal Grey with the Employee Care 3 sample project and it is giving all the search results in the left hand pane with a scrollbar where the number exceeds what can be viewed. Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.What do you see there?

The meaning of Number of Results is not obvious and I'm looking into that.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I tried EmployeeCare3 and saw the same problem.

In SSL, apply Charcoal Grey layout; disable all Search settings.

Generate, then in Desktop layout search for "World".

15 results found for 'world'.

Only 14 results are displayed in the left pane's search results list (ends with "Healthcare").

Shrink window to switch to mobile layout, and scroll down to see last entry.

15 results are now displayed in the list (ends with "Sales Staff Video")

Maximize window to go back to desktop layout.

All 15 results are displayed in the left pane with scrollbar.

Do same exercise with SSL Search option "Enable Substring Search" enabled. 16 results now found. Similar behavior - only 14 displayed by desktop initially, etc.

(I had a hard time finding a word that would yield more than 14 results - what did you use?)

Thanks for looking into this.

Jeanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I searched on Company, which reports 15 results.

I opened the help and reduced the window size to the smallest that keeps the desktop layout. I then counted down the number of topics and found 15 ending with Healthcare. Same no matter what the screen size.

If you don't get 15 when you test with Company, what topics do you get?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On initial desktop view (browser window maximized), I search for 'company' and get this :

There are 15 results reported, but only 14 are listed, with "End of search results" after 'Harassment' (14th result) in the list. There is no scrollbar.

Then I when I reduce window size I see the left list has a scrollbar and shows all 15 results. 'Harassment' (14th result) is now next-to-last:

Maximize the window to return to desktop view, and now the left pane has a scrollbar and shows all 15 results. ('Harassment' is now next-to-last.)

I have seen that no matter how many search results are reported, the initial desktop view will never list more than 14 entries, with 'End of search results' at the end of the list.

If the 14 entries require a scrollbar, (ie context is switched on with enough characters displayed to to make each entry require 3 lines) the left pane will load the rest of the entries on scrolling.

If these 14 do not require the left pane to have a scrollbar (ie with the context switched off), you will only see the first 14 search results listed in the left pane. You won't see the rest unless you resize the window to switch views and then switch back to desktop.

So I am wondering how this 'magic number' of 14 is set. If I can increase this I can solve the problem.

Thanks,

Jeanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to My RoboHelp Projects and delete or rename you existing copy of Employee Care 3.

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 2017\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US and copy EC3 from there back to My RoboHelp Projects and see if you still get the same results.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that, and I now get 19 results reported, but again on initial view only 14 are shown in the list with no scrollbar.

Then, same behavior: reducing the window size shows the list with scrollbar. I scroll to see last result, and then returning to full size now shows the list with a scrollbar and I can scroll to see all 19 results. (BTW, if I don't scroll the list in the reduced view the full view still will not show more than the 14 entries.)

Do you know where the '14' parameter is set. If I could increase this it would fix the problem.

Thanks,

Jeanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have refreshed my copy and get 19 results that all show with a scrollbar. I'm puzzled as to why you are seeing something else.

Are you using RoboHelp 2015 or 2017 and do you have the updates applied?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My colleagues have the same problem.

Did you turn off the show context option?

Also, I always load the page with the browser (Chrome) maximized. I also always clear the browser cache between tests.

Just tested with IE 11, and the problem does not occur with that browser. I will test with other browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try another browser. FF and IE both work OK. Maybe this is a Chrome issue.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for pursuing this with me.

I get the same behavior with FF (newly installed) as I do with Chrome. I have the project posted online and I can send you a link privately, and/or the zipped source if you want.

Our workaround for now will be to enable context in the SSL.

I would like to know if/where I can change @MAX_RESULTS  used in the search pane:

<div class="wSearchResultItemsBlock" data-if="!@EVT_SEARCH_IN_PROGRESS">

<div data-rhwidget="List: key: @.p.searchresults, spliton: index % @MAX_RESULTS == 14" data-config="loadmore: '.l.load_more_results', loaded: '.l.results_loaded'" data-loaded="true">

If I could set this to a larger number it would solve the problem. I'm hoping it is somewhere in the .js, but couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Jeanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send me the link for now.

Which file are you finding that code in? The only setting I see is in the SSL dialog and it does not work for me.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent you the link via forum pm.

I see this when I inspect the search pane using Chrome (or FF) developer tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine for me in Chrome. 19 results reported, 19 seen with a scroll bar.

I do note the background colour I see is dark grey rather than the blue/green colour you see. Are you sure you are looking at what you sent me?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it error if you don't use the developer pane. I have seen developer panes give problems in the past.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The shading is indicating that the Chrome developers tools inspector is focusing on that part of the page.

Here is what it looks like without the inspector:

19 results found, only 14 displayed with end of search results shown at the end of the list.

I am using most recent Chrome Version 60.0.3112.101 (Official Build) (64-bit) and most recent Firefox 55.0.2 (64-bit) on a PC with Windows 7. We know this also occurs with Chrome on a Windows 10 PC. It happens whether the system is viewed locally or online.

What browser version and system are you using to view this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same version of Chrome and Firefox on Windows 10 with Creators Update.

Go the RoboHelp Tour on my site and search on RoboHelp. Do you get 126 results and can see them all?

Are the users in different locations and are all of them seeing the problem?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have put my Employee Care 3 output on my server.

http://www.grainge.org/demos/empcare

See how that works for you.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem in both Chrome and FF. 19 results. 14 displayed.I cleared my cache before viewing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Firefox go to Help and select to open with all add-ons disabled. Then

browse to my output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restarted FF with Add-ons disabled.

Site loads very slowly.

Same result when I search for 'company'. 19 results found. 14 display in list with "End of search results."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm baffled. I have asked someone else to check the link. When you get home

could you test there to see what you get following the link to my site?

Are all users on your network?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick Stone has kindly tested the output on my site and gets the same results that I do. So if I access your help or mine, it works. If Rick accesses mine, it works. If you access your output or mine, it has the problem. That is rather pointing to your environment.

If other users are outside of your network, then the common link seems to be your software. Circumstantial I  know but worth investigating. Is there a machine in your office without your software that could test the links.

Also, as above, please test when you get home.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are a geographically dispersed group. We don't share a common network.

At this point we are resigned to just enabling the "Show Context" option. It seems the easiest solution.

Thank you for your time and input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK but I think it would have been worth trying on a machine that does not

have your software, just to establish that is the cause or rule it out.

I have seen it affect other software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp