Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sending a .CHM file

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2008 Jun 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I want to send a .chm file via email so another person can review the help system I created. When they receive it they are unable to view the file. Please let me know what I need to do so they can view the help.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 03, 2008 Jun 03, 2008
The link will not work while my site is down.

However, the easier solution is that the recipient just puts the CHM on a local drive instead of a network drive.

If it is already local, then right click the file in Windows and select Properties. There's a check box that will enable it to run.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has the file been saved to a local drive? If not, it is likely they have been caught out by a MS update. Click here for details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding. The link is not working for me though. So, if I get the person who I'm sending the file to to install the update all should be well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link will not work while my site is down.

However, the easier solution is that the recipient just puts the CHM on a local drive instead of a network drive.

If it is already local, then right click the file in Windows and select Properties. There's a check box that will enable it to run.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm. Colum and Peter, thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Have you ever solved your problem?I just have the same problem,when I want to send compressed chm  rar file to my friend, the gmail note that it's not allowed,I cannot find a solution,if you can help,that's kind of you

Best,

Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solutions for chms located on a network are all documented in the link.

However, you mention gmail and a compressed .rar file so that sounds like a google issue. I'd try googling 'gmail rar files blocked' and see what turns up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response,in fact,I didn't find a solution from this page,the professors above said that need to change the network link into your local text,maybe I did not understand,but the problem I think it lies in the inner chm file in the rar file,another question, the chm file I get is nearly 18.8M,is the file size too large so the gmail cannot give me a pass?

Looking forward the reply!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what file sizes are allowed as I don't use google. I'm of the old school where attachments over about 500MB should be sent by floppy disk in the mail. 😄

Seriously though, I'd probably try a file transfer site instead. I know Peter uses WeTransfer, so have a look at that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@zow5E2D I think you are facing two problems, gmail will not allow CHMs even if they are in a zip format, and the size of the file is too large regardless. Try using a file transfer site such as wetransfer.com. It's free.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you professor,I'm a Chinese foreign trade salesman, I made a chm catalogue,but facing the problems,I will try to use the ways you suggested,thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp