Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Show Me button?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2015 Dec 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using RH 2015 and outputting to Responsive HTML5 output. I'd like to include a "Show Me" button in complex how-to topics that when clicked, opens a short mp4 video. Is this possible? I'm not a css whiz...I've attempted to create a button using Insert > HTML Form > Button but that seems like it just adds a button that has no meaning or purpose. Perhaps I'm missing a step to link to the mp4 file?

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

Karen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 10, 2015 Dec 10, 2015

Thanks Willam--that's helpful information. However, I might be missing a step. I inserted a button (Insert > HTML Form > Button) but when I have the button selected, the DropDown Text on the Insert tab is not available.

I've figured out a work-around by selecting the “Show Me” text, selecting Insert > DropDown Text from the menu, and pasting the video into the Drop-Down Text Editor.

I’ve edited the Stylesheet to make the DropDown text look like a button (Hyperlink > Drop-down hotspot, Format > Bo

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2015 Dec 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karen,

This is a two step process:

1. Insert the MP4 video. On the Insert tab, click Multimedia. Choose the MP4 and the video will be available in the topic.
  2. A button doesn't do anything if you don't tell RoboHelp what it should do. I would advise to use the button to create a Dropdown Text (select the button and on the Insert tab, click Dropdown text). Move the MP4 video into the dropdown to get the behaviour you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2015 Dec 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Willam--that's helpful information. However, I might be missing a step. I inserted a button (Insert > HTML Form > Button) but when I have the button selected, the DropDown Text on the Insert tab is not available.

I've figured out a work-around by selecting the “Show Me” text, selecting Insert > DropDown Text from the menu, and pasting the video into the Drop-Down Text Editor.

I’ve edited the Stylesheet to make the DropDown text look like a button (Hyperlink > Drop-down hotspot, Format > Borders and Shading…).

This works for now, but perhaps there’s an easier method?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2015 Dec 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the button with the DHTML. You may want to try with an image instead.

The method you use now is the easiest method in RoboHelp. To make it a little easier, you can copy and paste the formatted dropdown so you don't have to style it anew every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2015 Dec 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Willam! Great suggestion about using an image too, instead of all the effort involved with the style sheet to make text look like a button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp