Single Project vs. Multiple Projects

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2015 Dec 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 2015

Hello.

Newbie question. Need your advice.

Product has a back office version and several mobile client versions.

Each product version will have its own help system published on a separate website.

Is it better to have one project per one product version or a single project for all product versions?

Seems like having "one project per product version" is obviously better (no need to use conditional tags to separate content of one product version from another and to change output settings each time when publishing), but maybe I miss something... Maybe there are more pro's than con's of storing everything in a single project?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I think if I were in your shoes the question I might be trying to answer in my own mind would be to ask if (or how much) overlap there is likely to be?

Example: Perhaps one feature of the application involves a process of performing steps 1-10. Most of the content is the same, but some of the steps will be a bit different for mobile VS desktop.

With multiple projects, should something change with several of the steps, you are now facing opening different projects to make changes to that specific section. But if all of it were contained in a single project but with multiple tags, you change only the affected content.

Obviously that's a very simplified scenario, but hopefully it gives you something to ponder as you make your decision on how best to proceed.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Rick.

From that point of view I should definitely have separate projects for desktop and mobile versions, and at the same time I would probably need one project for at least two of mobile versions.

Thanks again. That was helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp