Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Snippets not being created

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RoboHelp 2019.0.9

When I create Snippets they do not appear in the Snippets pane as demonstrated in the following screenshot. Does anyone else have this issue?

We are due a RoboHelp update, does anyone know when it is coming?

Kind regards

Michelle

snippets.png

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Snippets are working correctly and I think they have from the beginning. Does this occur if you create a new project just to test?

The RoboHelp Reimagined sample project has information about how to create Snippets. Just double check you are doing the right thing.

Let us know if that helps.

www.grainge.org

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it with a new project before I posted here. I will double check to see if I am creating them correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I had this as well at some point. Creating new snippets just didn't do anything at all IIRC.

My workaround was open the folder in Windows explorer, and copy an existing snippet to another file name. This will show up in the GUI and then you can edit it from there. Not ideal, but it works 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will give that a go, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the creation process as outlined in the RoboHelp documentation and the snippets are not created as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have a Snippets folder, where should it be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

\contents\assets\snippets

If there are no snippets you might need to create this folder yourself.

The files have .hts extensions.

Here's an example of what should be in it, so you can create the initial file yourself.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<meta name="generator" content="Adobe RoboHelp 2019" />
<title>title of the snippet</title>
<meta name="topic-status" content="Draft" />
</head>
<body>
<p>aa</p>
</body>
</html>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This workaround helped me create a snippet outside of RoboHelp and to use it in topics in my project. However, I cannot create snippets in the RoboHelp IDE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, just copy the file as many times as you need using Windows Explorer, and then use the IDE to edit them. Depends on your number of snippets if this is a workable workaround or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In File Explorer you will find the snippets in projectpath\contents\assets\snippets.

If they are not being created in any project, then something is wrong with the installation. I would uninstall and then install the latest. There is a later build then 2019.0.9. See http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh2019/rh2019.htm for information and a link to the build on Adobe's site.

www.grainge.org

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried again, and can recreate the problem.

• RH 2019.0.9, hotfix applied (at least I don't have the problems the hotfix is meant to fix).
  • Recently completely reinstalled, due to a licensing problem which is resolved now.
  • Using the stock Robohelp Reimagined project.

What I did is the following:

• Open the Reimagined project and select the Snippets tab (menu?)
  • Click on the + next to SNIPPETS.

image.png

• Enter the snippet details and click Create.

(screenshot see the reply to this post)

The result is below. It opens a blank page called erwin (the first part of my login name). The snippet seems to be located all the way in the root, but a complete search of my disk for erwin.hts gives no results.

image.png

So indeed, if I want to create snippets I have to resort to the Windows Explorer workaround I posted earlier. No big deal for me, just annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should have been the 2nd screenshot. This forum keeps deleting images as I post multiple in one post. Editing doesn't help, it just deletes it again. But anyway, here it is.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this still happen if the project is directly off the root of your local drive?

www.grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean as in    C:\projectfolder     ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

www.grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works! Is the path too long? My original path is this:

C:\Users\erwin.timmerman\Documents\ET\_current\RH\RoboHelp Reimagined\contents\assets\snippets

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my thinking, thanks for proving it. 🙂

I'll report the problem.

www.grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is thought the problem is the dot in your user name. Perhaps MDDwork can confirm his their user name also has a dot in it?

This will be fixed in the next update.

www.grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that when I rename C:\RoboHelp Reimagined to C:\RoboHelp.Reimagined it stops working again:

The path on the file is shown as ../RoboHelp.hts.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since we're talking about paths, I have found that in the HTML5 responsive output with the blue skin, if you use a logo file with spaces in it, the logo file isn't shown. It took me quite some time fumbling with resolutions and file formats before I thought of that. If they're fixing paths anyway, maybe they can fix that too 🙂 Unless that's a browser thing, but then they shouldn't allow these file names in the dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it is a general issue with dots in file names rather than just being snippets.

www.grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope they fix it, as it's really common for work user names to be dot separated, and many, many people keep their projects in the default location, which is in their user folder which is dot separated.

Mind you this is not a new problem and I've encountered it with several different tools for at least a decade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully it will be in the next update. Not everyone has hit this problem so there must be a lot of user names without dots. Either that or no one is using snippets. 🙂

www.grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@peter grainge  - I am female btw and I do not have dots in my path, but I have underscores

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp