• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Splitting word document into multiple topics

Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is there any way to split a single word document into the multiple topics, while importing to the RoboHelp 2015?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

There is an option that does this. But it relies upon the Word document being imported having been properly formatted using Word styles. When you begin the import process, you see the dialog below.

TMP1.png

Click the Edit button highlighted in the image and RoboHelp will scan the document and present options for splitting into topics.

tmp2.png

Choose the paragraph style you want to be used and enable the Pagination option. You should then be set.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick is exactly right about how to do what you asked. Because I am "fighting" with RoboHelp when it comes to Word styles and linking to them (yes, I know you asked about importing - it's the same window whether you are linking or importing). To reiterate this is what my Conversion Settings window looks like:

2017_01_04_ConversionSettings.jpg

I sent this screenshot to Adobe Tech Support and asked if I deleted the "AutoSig" style from all of my Word documents, would that style still display on this window? I'm willing to go through my 68 linked documents and eradicate any stray styles. However, the answer I got back from Adobe Tech Support was yes, "Autosig" will still be on the window.

So, my caution to you is to work very carefully with your Word docs even if you are only initially importing into RobobHelp.

As for me, I'm on the hunt for the configuration file that builds the values that are displayed on this list. I need to better understand why RoboHelp thinks "Autosig" is a style to be displayed on this window.

Paul

[Personal information removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has always been my own understanding that the list you see is rather dynamic and is "built" during that process of importing when you see the animation.

Have you tried deleting that style from one of the Word documents, then importing into a new project to test?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a brand new project and linked to a document with only these styles applied to text:

HCIS_DocumentInformationSection

HCIS_P_BodyText

HCIS_T_Table_Data

HCIS_T_Table_HeaderRow

Heading 1,HCIS_H_Heading 1

Heading 2,HCIS_H_Heading 2

TOC Heading,HCIS_TOC_Heading

|

This is what my Conversion Settings window looks like:

2017_01_10_ConversionSettings_02.jpg

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And in that document, do those styles also exist?

Yeah, I know that you only used those styles, but my thought is that they may be defined but unused in the Word document itself. And if that's the case, that would explain why you are seeing them in this dialog.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think all these extra styles are explained on my site. If not I can

explain later in the week.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

While importing word doc I am able to see only one paragraph style i.e., Normal . On select of that style and Pagination, the topics are not creating properly. may I know what is the problem here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Aura,

to me, this sounds like in your Word document, the style "Normal" is used for everything - text, headers, ... So you won't be able to create several topics, because RH has no way to decide where to split. You can try providing a different style to your headers in your Word, e.g. Header 1. Then, on importing, you should see two styles and can then select "Header 1" for pagination. RH will then create a new topic with every Header 1 and the following text.

Hope, this helps!

Kind regards
Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp