• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suddenly Can’t Link to Topics in Other Child Projects

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m using RoboHelp 10 HTML to publish WebHelp onto a network server.

I have 11 merged projects consisting of about 3100 topics.

After several years of using this method, all of a sudden, I am unable to link to topics within other projects merged under the same parent. I can create external links outside the merged help as usual. This occurs regardless of the project I’m working on.

When I use the Hyperlink dialog, I select Link to: ‘File’ and browse to the desired topic. I click the ‘Open’ button to return to the Hyperlink dialog. When I click the ‘OK’ button, nothing happens, except a change of color indicating I am making contact with the button.

I have searched the forums and none of the scenarios/solutions seem to match my dilemma. I reinstalled RoboHelp on my PC.  I tried deleting the old CPD file. None have resulted in a solution. Capture.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Sorry but I really don't know what could cause this. I have never seen it reported before or encountered it.

Are you able to test the same projects on another machine?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any version control at play?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A point of clarification here. I am able to link to an MS Word document in a child project while I am unable to link to a topic in the same child project that contains the MS Word document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bizarre!

Download on the sample merged project setups from my site or set up one yourself. Does the same problem occur there?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter. I downloaded your project to my desktop and the same problem occurs there.Yes. Very bizarre.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice in your screenshot you have a remote URL highlighted. That should not be the case after using the Link to dropdown.

Double check your steps.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is because the topic is an imported MS Outlook file. That is the link that I am trying to repair by making it a relative link. Please see the top of the screenshot that contains the reference to C:/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify, the topic was originally an MS Outlook file; I converted it to .htm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you also see this problem if linking to topics that were created in RoboHelp?

I can understand an Outlook file that was converted to HTML having lots of horrible MS code in it but why would it show as a Remote URL after importing it. At that point it is a topic, not a remote URL.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter.

Yes, I have the same problem when linking to topics created in RoboHelp. In my original example, the topic I’m linking to was created in RoboHelp. I have the same problem when linking to a topic in your download.

peters_project.JPG

The highlighted URL in my original screen shot is a Remote URL because when I created the original link in the original document, the document was created in MS Outlook and linked to that URL. After importing the file, I’m trying to modify that link to make it relative. This is the original email:

email_image.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but I really don't know what could cause this. I have never seen it reported before or encountered it.

Are you able to test the same projects on another machine?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your dedication, Peter. I'll work with desktop to get RoboHelp installed on another PC to try it....with fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I am happy to report that the problem described here does not occur on the other PC I moved RoboHelp to. Thank you, again, for your valued guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2015 Aug 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm! That seems to suggest something is screwed on your PC. Are you having any similar problems with other apps?

Time to call in your IT guys I think. I suggest they create a new profile for you without, at the moment, trashing your old one.

You will lose all your settings for your apps but if it fixes the problem, you will at least know the problem was your profile and IT can guide you from there.

Please let us know how it goes.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only app I had trouble with on the original PC. Prior to my posting the original question, I had IT create a new profile for me. That did not help with the problem. So, yes, now I'll go through the pain of moving the other apps to the new PC and setting up the preferences again for all. Such is life. Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The last remaining thing to try out of academic interest is a different uninstall before reinstalling. As you are going to be on a different PC there is nothing to lose and at least you might get some satisfaction.

Download Wise 365 Uninstaller. Uninstall using that. It cleans some registry stuff that most uninstallers leave behind.

Please do post back if you ever get to the bottom of this. New one on me.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp