• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of Contents dropping items in Responsive HTML5 output

Participant ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that one of the Table of Contents sub-folders in our Online Help project does not display any items when output to Responsive HTML5. The topics are all there in the project, and when I output to Webhelp, I still see the topics in the TOC. The sub-folder has approximately 75 topics. My initial suspicion was that a Conditional Build Tag was preventing the topics from showing, but I looked at the tags and I don't see any reason for that to be the case. Does Responsive HTML5 have a TOC folder limit? Anyone have any idea about what's going on here?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you have more than one TOC and you are pointing to the one you aren't intending?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually have 3 TOCs but that isn't the problem. I tried making a copy of the sub-folder and deleting about 30 items and they displayed fine, so I'm thinking that Responsive HTML5 can't handle that many items in a folder. I ran into a problem recently where I found that the Index will crash Responsive HTML5 projects if it gets too big. I'm starting to worry about how limited Responsive HTML5 is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2015 Oct 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Responsive HTML5 for projects with over 2500 topics. Do your topics or folders use any special characters or uncommon filenames (with spaces and the like)?

I did see this problem occuring in one oI fixed it by better applying CBT's to the TOC. I forgot the exact issue, but it had to do with CBT's when using merged TOC's. Can you try to create an output without applying any CBT's or filters in the output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi William. Thanks for the response.

Our topics and folders do not have any special characters. As far as I have seen, the other folders and sub-folders in the TOC display their topics correctly. The problematic folder, though, may be the largest of them all. It's hard to say for sure because there are so many, but after spot checking, that certainly seems to be the case.

As for CBTs, the folder/topics in question only have the main project CBT applied to them, so I don't see how it can be an issue. I tried generating the output without any filtering or a build expression and the issue still occurs. So I'm still leaning towards a software limitation being the problem. Have you tried putting more than 75 or so topics in a TOC sub-folder and generating it in Responsive HTML5? Will it open?

Here's a screenshot of the TOC in the Responsive HTML5 output without any filtering or a build expression. The other sub-folders open and display topics without any issue, but the folder labeled "Contracts" opens (the open icon is shown) but does not display any topics, though there should be many.

TOC issue.PNG

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the source file enter a term that is not in any topic such as "bluegiraffe". Then regenerate the output and search on that term. Is it found? If not that confirms the topic is not making it into the output. A check of the output folder would also confirm that.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The topics are definitely in the output. I can find them through search, and some of them are also linked in other TOC folders or hyperlinks in topics. Perhaps someone else could try adding a lot of topics (maybe 75 or 100) to a TOC folder and see what happens in the Responsive HTML5 output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a similar sounding bug reported in the adobe bug tracking tool, although not reproduced by Adobe yet. It involves Win10, Framemaker and potentially double quotes in the TOC. Might be worth creating an item and/or voting on the existing one? (Or maybe that's you - I can't tell from your visible user id )

Bug#4061371 - Table of Contents in Responsive HTML5 Output: not all Sub-Entries in TOC visible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That doesn't really sound like my problem. We don't use quotes in the TOC, or Framemaker. I created a bug: Bug#4070141 - Table of Contents in Responsive HTML5 does not display items in folders or subfolders ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 23, 2015 Nov 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe closed our bug report stating that they could not reproduce the issue. This remains a huge problem for us. A contributing factor may be that our project/TOC is very large, and I don't know if adobe tested on anything other than a blank project/TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the project with me? I would like to have a look. You can contact me at contact [at] wvanweelden [dot] eu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you give Adobe a copy of the project for them to poke? That’s often the most product way of having them figure out what’s going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 25, 2015 Nov 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We have tried to reproduce the issue on various projects with very large TOCs but this bug is not reproducible at our end.
We have made many fixes related to Responsive HTML5 in latest RH 12.0.2 patch.
Please upgrade to the latest Patch.
Kindly revert if the issue is still not resolved in the latest patch.

Thanks and Regards,

Nitika Mangla

Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp