• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of Contents not displaying in IE for Merged Projects in RoboHelp 11

Participant ,
May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created merged projects in RoboHelp 11. The table of contents and the Start page display OK in Firefox and Chrome, but in Internet Explorer version 11, the table of contents does not display, and the message "Internet Explorer restricted this webpage from running scripts or Active X controls" is shown. Clicking "Allow blocked content" enables the Start page to be displayed, but the table of contents is not shown. If you refresh the page in Internet Explorer, everything is displayed without any problems. Can anyone suggest a fix for this please? Is it possible to refresh the page automatically perhaps? Thanks for any suggestions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’ll need to get patched up to get the fixes for browser security issues for IE11 and Edge (& FF too). See Willam’s site - https://www.wvanweelden.eu/articles/robohelp-patches-and-updates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I installed patch 11.0.4 but it has not fixed the problem with the TOC not displaying. Do you suggest installing any of the other updates? I could not see anything relating to this problem for RoboHelp 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you regenerated your WebHelp? You might have to look at Willam’s site to get some unofficial hacks from other versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regenerated WebHelp, same problem I'm afraid. Not too keen on the word "unofficial" or "hack"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unofficial workarounds might have been a better term. Willam provides many solutions and works closely with Adobe. There will be nothing nasty in his solutions but they are unofficial in the sense that Adobe have not run them through their testing. As with any software company issues get through the official testing so even that is no guarantee.

Personally I would try any solution offered by Willam. As always have a backup because there could always be an unknown that is unique to you.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much. I'll have a look. Has anyone else seen this problem with the TOC not displaying in Internet Explorer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the vote of confidence Peter.

The unofficial fixes are mostly backported fixes or updates I made together with people that had specific problems. While I try to test as best I can, I cannot provide the kind of support that Adobe can offer. Hence unofficial and no warrantee. Though if it doesn't work, you can always contact me to see whether we can create something that does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some patches listed on William's site for RoboHelp version 10 which look promising. Is it generally safe to install patches for an earlier version of RoboHelp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try it, but always make a backup of the original js files first – I’ve found that making a copy of the original files & then using a compare tool (like Beyond Compare) to have a look at the differences gives me hints as to what to tinker with in my copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Another clue: the Help content works OK when accessed from a web server. It is only when it is accessed from your local drive that we see the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2016 May 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please upload a screenshot of the whole screen when the TOC is not displayed locally.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 09, 2016 May 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MergedProj1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really did mean the whole screen. I'm wondering if IE is blocking the TOC.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MergedProj2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, is this screen shot OK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I right in thinking this is a dummy project set up for test purposes? If it is or you can nonetheless share it, I will take a look.

See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your offer, it's great to know that you are willing to help with this problem. I created a new project with just dummy content and I found that the problem with the TOC not displaying went away for IE11. I copied the settings in the WebHelp Settings dialog to the original project and the problem went away in this project too. I don't know exactly which setting fixed the issue, or whether it was a combination of settings. Unfortunately, we still have a problem using the Microsoft Edge browser, as follows: the start page displays OK, but the TOC does not display at all, even if you refresh the page. It the TOC pane appears to be refreshing about twice a second, but nothing is displayed. The TOC is not displayed in Firefox either, but displays OK in Chrome. RoboHelp is on version 11.0.4.291, and I have installed the RH10 patch for Edge problems, with did address the problem we saw originally using Edge, but left us with the problem I have described above. I'd really appreciate any advice you can offer with this, and could send you dummy project if that helps. Perhaps you could let me know if Edge is supported for merged projects in RH11, and, if not, whether it is supported in version 2015. Best wishes, M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to linked to some other issues so please send me the merged setup and I will check out various scenarios. What I am expecting is that the child projects will display OK in IE but not the merge.

I will also be trying different outputs and different versions of RoboHelp.

Please follow the instructions on my Contacts page.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I copied the dummy project over as you suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for everyone's advice. Our solution was to move to the Responsive HTML output. The TOC displays OK in this output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coincidentally today I got to take another look at the project you sent me. I opened each in turn and generate the parent to a folder outside the project. That automatically creates a folder called mergedProjects within which there is a folder for each child. I generated each child to those folders and the merge works as expected in both IE and Firefox. The only fault I could see was that whilst Project 3 showed when you clicked that in the TOC, the highlight returned to Project 1.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me know if you want me to send the working version back to you.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please. Thanks very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp