• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

target="_blank" not supported for links in HTML 5

Participant ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a requirement for some hyperlinks to open in the user's default browser. We do this by manually creating the links as follows: href="default:../topicname.html".

When the link is created in the HTML 5 output, the target="_blank" value is added to the link.

This currently works OK, but in the new version of our own Help browser, it does not work. I have discovered that the target="_blank" value is not supported in HTML 5 (https://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_link_target.asp).

My question please: is there a supported way to get a link to open in the default bowser? I am using the Charcoal Grey output in RoboHelp 2017.

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

Mark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

I asked Adobe about this. Reply below.

Target in <a> tag is supported in html5.
https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_a.asp

It is not supported in link tag.

We do support in new hyperlink dialog as well as via property panel in display options.

www.grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it still works for me - I just checked some HTML5 output and it works with the <a href=URL target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" /a> coding in Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked Adobe about this. Reply below.

Target in <a> tag is supported in html5.
https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_a.asp

It is not supported in link tag.

We do support in new hyperlink dialog as well as via property panel in display options.

www.grainge.org

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your replies. Do you suggest we add rel="noopener noreferrer" after target="_blank"? If so, do you know if this will work with all browsers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been given this information.

noopener: not supported in IE. You can see in browser compatibility

https://caniuse.com/#search=noopener

noreferrer: partially supported in IE.

https://caniuse.com/#search=noreferrer

www.grainge.org

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again. We will test this ASAP to see if this resolves our problem. I will update the thread accordingly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck using rel="noopener noreferrer" after target="_blank" I'm afraid. I think the WebEngine application we are using is maybe blocking the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems likely if it works in other browsers. Unfortunately I cannot seek assistance on third party software.

www.grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I totally understand. Thanks for your advice so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp