• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TCS5 FM12 to RH11 Import Weirdness

Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2015 Apr 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we've finally got TCS5 loaded & patched now here at my work and have started playing with it. I've already confirmed that there was a new bug in RH11's treatment of CSS files in the generated help output (see Re: What I see in the CSS is not what displays in the HTML -- why?), but I knew I could handle that when I got to that point.

So testing the import of upgraded (FM11 to FM12) books and their import into a new RH11.0.4.291 project, I'm noticing some strange behaviour in RH11 - mainly, it seems to choke on any more than 50-some FM docs/books being imported! Any more than that and the project seems to come out the other end of the process thinking it's all done, when it hasn't put anything in the Project Manager pod or even in the project's folder in Explorer.

Here's what I've noticed watching the Output View pane:

- it shows the FM docs being converted - much chugging through each file name (Converting (X of Y)"doc name") accompanied by a little graphic progress bar (BTW - having left the FM Console window turned on, I now know that it uses the next free c:\users\user_name\AppData\Local\Temp\MIFTMPxx\ folder to turn the FM docs into MIFs first, while the next free \MIFTMP\ one is used for building up the project's HTML files)

- when it finishes that part, it declares quickly that it's "Patching...", then "Building TOC...", then "Splitting..." - would expect that this part takes the longest, because I bust up my FM content at both the H1 and H2 levels

- here's where the problem starts: it seems to think it's now finished after the "splitting" phase and control returns to the program with a "Ready" message in the bottom left corner - but nothing is created in either the Project Manager view or in the project folder

- now matter how long you let it alone, nothing shows up. RH11 thinks its done. I even left one running overnight to make really sure & it still created zippo, nada.

In RH10 and earlier, the final declaration that everything was all finished and that you could go back to using RH would take quite a while (often throwing a Windows "Not Responding" message while you waited), finally culminating in a pop-up window listing all the files "successfully imported". Clicking Ok on that screen would return focus back to RH and you could continue on. I was expecting this same sort of message to appear in the Output View, but "Splitting..." is all I got. I did check that the imported content got paginated because there's evidence for the MIFTMPxx folder being used to create a folder named for the FM book and sub-folders of other books and docs with HTML and CSS files being found in there (and also FILE.hhc and FILE.hhk files being put in the root of the MIFTMPxx folder). It looks to me that the last part of copying the split up files back into the project folder is where it's going sideways.

Just for a laugh, I thought I'd try doing a RH10 import of the FM12 content & it seems to be working ok. That at least gives me a workaround. Next thing to try is the Publishing feature out of FM12 direct.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?