Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC links in Responsive HTML5 layouts are inaccurate with merged projects

Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having two separate, but similar issues with merged projects in tablet/mobile view and am wondering if I have set them up incorrectly. The most perplexing thing is that everything works perfectly fine in desktop view.

First off, I am using RH11 with all updates applied on a Windows 7 machine and I have a master project set up with about 2 dozen child projects stored under the Responsive_HTML5/mergedProjects folder.

-----

Issue #1:

Upon first opening up the help system in mobile view, I can navigate to any topic in the TOC except the first topic (an introduction topic) in any of my child projects. When I hover over the topic in the TOC, I can see the link at the bottom of my browser and RoboHelp is always truncating the link destination to "Responsive_HTML5/Introduction.htm" when it should be using "Responsive_HTML5/mergedProjects/<child project name>/Introduction.htm" instead.

Issue #2:

Again in mobile view, let's say I am looking at a topic in guide A. Now I want to look at a topic in guide B, so I open the TOC and navigate to the other guide. However, when I hover over the topic links in the TOC, all links still point to guide A's folder. In other words, while I am looking at guide B in the TOC and I hover over a topic in the TOC, the link says "...mergedProjects/guide A/TopicFromGuideB.htm". I have discovered that if I click on a book then the TOC refreshes and will display the subsequent topics, but I am still unable to open any other topic since it keeps looking in guide A's folder.

-----

Has anyone else encountered these problems with their TOCs? Is there a more optimal way to set up my projects in order for RoboHelp to not change my link destinations?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2014 Aug 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like a bug to me. I have tried merged html5 help once to see how it worked, but I didn't notice this. Perhaps Peter has something more to say on this.

Can you report this issue in the bug tracker? The more people report a bug, the better chance that it will be fixed: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't encounter this but maybe I didn't specifically test the first link. Give me some time.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing wrong links and have to suspect something with the setup.

Create a new folder outside the projects. Duplicate the SSLs you are using and point the parent to that folder, then point the child projects to the appropriate mergedProjects folder.

Still the same problem?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having this EXACT same problem 2 years later (particularly Problem #1 listed in the original post).

I'm using nearly the original poster's nearly exact same set up: RoboHelp HTML 11 (version 11.0.4.291) on a Windows 7 OS. I merged this project using instructions on peter grainge's amazing website (Merging WebHelp - RoboHelp 9 and 10​).

I also manually disabled the glossary functions in my Screen Layout.

Was this ever resolved? I have searched the forums and haven't found anything relating to this issue.

Here is a more detail explanation of the problem:

ONLY in Tablet or Phone view does this problem occur. Everything works 100% in Desktop view:

In tablet of phone view, I click on a parent topic that has a few nested child topics inside of it. Once the list of nested child topics displays, I have the option to click on the parent topic that actually triggered the expansion and display of the child topics, OR any one of the child topics. When I click that PARENT topic, it should open that topic in the layout ... instead I get a "file cannot be found" page (see images below).

When I hover my mouse over that parent topic to see URL destination of that topic, it displays the WRONG file path. Instead of pointing to the folder INSIDE of the "mergedProjects" folder that contains the parent topic that needs to be opened, it points inside of the parent DIRECTORY, looking for the folder that contains the parent topic to be opened. since it cannot find that folder and parent topic, I get a "file cannot be found" page whenever I click the topic.

Topics that are NOT parent topics of child topics correctly point to the folder inside of the "mergedProjects" folder that contains the desired topic of that child project. ONLY parent topics of child topics point to the wrong destination.

Note in the following image: This parent topic in TABLET VIEW points to the directory that contains the "shell" parent help system for all of the other child help systems found in the "MergedProjects" folder.

The file path of the parent topic in the image below is:

"file///C:/RoboHelp Projects/New Folder/ [OMITTED]_Installation_and_Configuration_Guide/ID_IC_System_Req/System_Requirements.htm"

** The "New Folder" is the folder I'm publishing the entire web help to.**

Note that it is NOT pointing to the "mergedProjects" folder that contains the help system which contains this child project. It's pointing one level above that:

image1:

Untitled1.png

If I click the parent topic "System Requirements," I receive a page stating the topic cannot be found. This is true, because this topic is REALLY located in a sub folder of a child project in the "mergedProjects" folder.

If I click the child topic named "Operating Systems" UNDER the "System Requirements" parent topic, it goes to the correct destination without any issues.

If I hover my cursor on the child topic, I see the CORRECT file path to the topic:

"file///C:/RoboHelp Projects/New Folder/mergedProjects/IDICHelp/ [OMITTED]_Installation_and_Configuration_Guide/ID_IC_System_Req/Operating_systems.htm"

**The "New Folder" is the folder I'm publishing the entire web help to ... note that it is pointing to the child project folders inside of the "mergedProjects" folder as desired.**

image 2:

Untitled2.png

This problem is true for ALL topics that are parents of child topics in merged help. Desktop view works fine and the file path destinations are correct.

Any help out there????? I'm lost. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp