• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC missing from Responsive HTML5 output (Robohelp 2015)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2016 Aug 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem: When I generate Responsive HTML5 output using a conditional build expression, there is not TOC in the output.

I know the right content is included in/excluded from the output based on searches that I perform in the output. The only problems seems to be there is no TOC.

What could be causing this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Dawn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 02, 2016 Sep 02, 2016

I will check it later but it looks like you are missing one essential point that I made in my previous reply (16 in the thread).

You have said you removed all tags except one from a few topics. I said to apply some other tag to the topics that you don't want included but you didn't do that, you just applied 911 to what you do want and then the TOC included everything. That is normal and covered in the page on my site I referred you to. http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/build_expressions/expressions.htm

Build Expressions

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Is it possible that somehow you have managed to tag all entries in the TOC with the tag being excluded?

Have you tried creating a new TOC and specifying that one as the one to use when you generate?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, Rick!

I’ve tried it with just one tag included as shown in the screen shot below. I know only a handful of topics have this tag applied. I have tried creating a separate TOC and selecting that one when I generate the output. Still no luck!

Dawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you inadvertently modified the 'Show TOC' property?

TOC property.20160931.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no. It is set at "true." I'm using a custom layout. I also tried generating the same output using the built-in "Azure blue" layout and got the same result.

I'm experimenting with different expressions, and sometimes it works. Robohelp is keeps freezing, so I'll try some different variations this afternoon and post what I find in this thread. Any other thoughts are welcome!

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, I don't know if you're still available for my questions, but here's what I've tried this afternoon:

I've tried compiling with several different conditional build expressions and keep getting the same result: the TOC shows the same two books, regardless of the expression I use, and the entire help file is available through search (i.e. I should only be able to find topics included in the expression, but all topics are available, regardless of how they are tagged.)

When I select "none" for conditional build expression, the TOC for the entire help system displays as it should, and all content is available.

I have one tag "3.16" that is applied to all topics/TOC books in the project. I tried to delete that tag and got the message shown below. For some reason, I think this tag may be the problem. I can delete other tags applied to multiple topics with no problem. Thanks again, for your help thus far!

Dawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2016 Sep 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update on this issue: (I think my project is corrupt!). Please let me know if the following steps make sense to you, and if you have any other suggestions!

• I know my version of RH 2015 works perfectly because I tested the use of conditional build tags and dynamic content filtering on a different project. (a much, much smaller project, don't know if that makes any difference)
  • NEXT STEP: I will try the last backup version of the help system and keep going back to earlier and earlier versions until I find one where I can successfully apply CBTs and dynamic content filtering.
  • If/when I find a backup version of the project that seems allright, I'll make a copy and import a few topics at a time from the latest version, testing each time to see if the project goes corrupt. Then, theoretically, I'll know which topic files are corrupt or bring corruption to the project and can recreate the content as new topics.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!

Dawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that if your project was corrupt, you would have problems with all outputs, not just those involving expressions. Usually any such problem is down to something related to the tagging or the expression.

That is not to say though that there is not a problem topic but that's different to a corrupt project.

I think what you are doing seems to be the best next step.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, Peter.

I tested all my back up versions and didn't find one that worked.

I then removed all tags from all topics and TOC entries (no content at all is tagged in the project now), and created a brand new tag, which I applied to just 3 topics. When I generated the output, random sections of the TOC were available, (about half of the content). I couldn't see any rhyme or reason as to what content was excluded or included.

The output is still just fine when I select "none" as the Conditional Build Expression. Do you have any more suggestions? Thanks so much!

Dawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wine and/or prayer?

1. Trash the CPD and reopen the project.

2. Send me the project. See Contact page on my site and follow instructions

there. Because of my availability, asap.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL! I was going to try sobbing while rocking back and forth in a corner, but I like your suggestion better!

Just started the process of transferring the file. Thank you so much!

Dawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On trying to open the project, I am getting a message that is was created in an older version. As I know you are using RoboHelp 2015, that must mean you have not applied all the patches.

Please update your version and confirm the issue still occurs.

What expression should I be using and to what effect? Exclude anything with a certain tag or tags or include only what has a certain tag or tags?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! Didn't even know there were patches! I'm installing them now.

The only expression that corresponds to tagged content right now is "Test 911". It includes 3 topics from the "User Desktop" book. Only the topics from that book should display in the output. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer! I installed the updates, closed RH and reopened the project. It "successfully upgraded" to RH 2015, but i'm still getting the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and because that tag is not applied to anything in the TOC, by

definition nothing in the TOC will be included. Does that help your

understanding?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish! The User Desktop book (the only book with Test 911 tag applied) does show up in the output, but so does the 1st half or so of the project--none of which is tagged "Test 911." I exposed the properties of that tag to verify that it was only applied to that one book. Is there something wrong with the way I've defined the expression? See screen shot. :

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to look more in the morning, it's evening here.

One thought. Does the extra content have any tag? If not, apply any other

tag and see what happens. Post back and I will look as soon as I can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted all tags from all my folders in the Project Manager and then, to make sure, deleted any tags from the TOC. Some TOC items had tags (which I deleted), but none of them were Test 911.

So, then I reapplied the 911 tag to User Desktop (TOC and topics) and regenerated with the Test 911 expression. Every TOC book in the project was included in the output (and, I think, all topics as well). But only User Desktop should have been included.

When I look at the properties of the Test 911 tag, it’s only applied to the TOC and topics that belong to User Desktop. I’ve tried deleting tags from the entire project, and I’ve successfully deleted some, but I intermittently get the “encountered an improper argument” message.

When I apply the Test 911 tag to another TOC book “Document Central,” and all its associated topics I’m also getting every single book (and I think all the topics as well, I randomly checked). This is different from before, when I was getting about half of the project content.

So, I'm signing off as well. This is Labor Day weekend for us, and I'm out of the office Friday and Monday. We're getting ready to move, so I'll be busy, but I'll check in when I can, in case you've had a chance to come back. Thanks so much!

Dawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2016 Sep 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will check it later but it looks like you are missing one essential point that I made in my previous reply (16 in the thread).

You have said you removed all tags except one from a few topics. I said to apply some other tag to the topics that you don't want included but you didn't do that, you just applied 911 to what you do want and then the TOC included everything. That is normal and covered in the page on my site I referred you to. http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/build_expressions/expressions.htm

Build Expressions

The last point there under Untagged Topics reads:

Note that any topic that does NOT have a tag will be included in the output.

Thus what you are reporting in your previous post is expected. I'm pretty sure that tagging all the unwanted topics with any other tag will fix things.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gosh! It worked. I cannot thank you enough! I'm sorry for wasting your time on what is essentially user error. What I was obviously missing is the fact that ALL content has to be tagged in order to do what I need to do.

Have a great day!

Dawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No apology needed, that's why the forum is here and we have all done something similar.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp