• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC problems with Chrome

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking on the HELP menu on the website - brings up a RoboHelp system of files - and unfortunately, as you know - the menu tree has issues working in Chrome.

A previous vendor created the help system in RoboHelp, and no longer supports this customer - luckily, we received 4 large ZIP files, containing the 4 main folder structure created by RoboHelp.  If I load these files locally, I am able to find INDEX.HTML inside of the folder named "!SSL!/WebHelp" and the help system operates normally in both IE and Chrome.

Thus I am not sure about the suggestion editing "whthost.js" - not sure that will apply in my case.

Without using WebHelp or RoboHelp, just utilizing the HTML output I currently have, do I have any options moving forward?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Making the change in whthost.js should resolve the problem as it has when done in the source files. If in doubt, create a backup of it first.

You haven't said whether or not any of the folders contain an XPJ file. That would indicate those folders contain the source files for editing in RoboHelp. Is it your intention to contain maintaining the help in RoboHelp. If it is, then we need to know if you only have output files or if you have the source as well.

There are solutions to future editing if you don't have the source so let us know.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that initial answer. I could not find any XPJ files. I did find plenty of FPJ files - but they appear in folders beside HTML files, which I believe is the output from the FPJ right?

So using just the HTML files I have, do you think there is a process to edit them in order to update them - and still get them to operate on the server properly, under both CHROME and IE?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FPJ files are only found in the source so it is unlikely there is no XPJ file. It would be in the root of the project. The FPJ files are merely catalogues of the HTM files in the folder.

The SSL folder contains the output(s) of the project and in the root, as above, is where the XPJ file is. That would enable you to open the project in RoboHelp and I am not sure you have that. If you do, then the best solution is to modify the whthost.js file as indicated on my site and generate again.

If you don't have RoboHelp, then you need to edit the output using Notepad. You can also modify the HTM output files that way but it will not update the search files so it is not a recommended solution.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to verify I understand your comment, without RoboHelp application, My option to update this help system, is to manually update the HTM output files - knowing that the search files will not update and maybe not operate even.

But that still does not explain why the hosted version of this help system - the TOC tree does not operate properly in Chrome, but it does on the local file system (by opening the index.html file from any browser).  Is the TOC operation controlled by something other than the HTML files on the server - or is everything that is needed to run the TOC built into the style sheets and HTML documents?

And yes, I did find a root.fpj file in that root folder as you said - and it is in XML Version 1.0 -- so I could edit it if you thought that would help.

THanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you don't have the actual RH project source files - that's the .XPJ file - it also sounds like you have a mix of source folders/files and an output folder (that was the \!SSL!\WebHelp\ folder & its contents). If that output folder works fine locally, but its equivalent on the web server doesn't, then it probably means that the copy on the web server is missing some of the output files. You'll have to check that (or just delete them all from the server & replace them with your local files).

Going forward, what was the plan to maintain this content? Using a copy of RH, since the .XPJ file seems to be AWOL, you'd have to employ a technique known as "reverse-engineering" to create a RH source project out of the output - Peter has a freebie method on his website & Willam van Weelden has a paid version on his helpessentials.com site (https://www.helpessentials.com/product/recovery-script/ )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To date, the plan has been to update these files by manually editing the HTML files. I am unclear if that would actually work - since i believe it will lose the SEARCH capability at a minimum, but I wonder if there are other issues which will arise.

I suppose just updating certain files as requirements change, and uploading the \!SSL!\WebHelp folder and its contents to a server - and calling the index.html from the HELP link on our website. I wonder if anyone has experience with that actually working, given that the vendor who created this system in RoboHelp is long gone, as are the source files and the purchased application itself.

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are we sure the XPJ is missing? It will be in the same folder as root.fpj.

However, it's academic if you will not be using RoboHelp.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The search will still work if you manually edit the HTM files.

There is a difference between running the help locally and on a server.

Make the change and see.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To summarise:

I don't believe you have lost the source files as the fact that you have root.fpj says otherwise. However, if you don't have RoboHelp, your only option is to edit the HTM files. The search will work but it will find terms you have removed by editing out of RoboHelp and it will not find terms you have added. In short, it's a bad plan.

If you want to send me those zip files, I will take a look at them to see what you have got. See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

Overall though, trying to maintain the help without RoboHelp is a bad plan. I am not understanding why it was taken on in the knowledge you can't maintain it properly. However, that is your concern.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

Does the RoboHelp 2019 release fix this TOC issue in Chrome?

(My software is required to be Chrome compatible but it is a problem for me if the WebHelp in that software is not.)

If the comments above detail a work-around I did not understand it, I am the content author, not on dev team.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp