• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC Sync not working when only one file in FrameMaker Book

Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting a strange result when I have only one file (two including the TOC file) in a FM book that I am publishing to Responsive HTML5.  I can explain more about why I am putting all "chapters" into one FM file if relevant, but trying to keep explanation simple.

When I publish the book with one FM file containing all chapters, the TOC sync in the output does not work.  If I split the chapters into multiple files, even just two (three in all including the FM TOC), then the TOC sync works fine in the output.  I have tried this with the Azure, Indigo and Charcoal_Grey layouts with the same results, fine if two FM files, not working if only one.  I am using FM 2017 as part of the TCS 2017.

Is there a reason why this is happening?  I can't think why TOC syncing should not work even if there is just one FM content file.  The resulting output has 4 levels of content in the TOC, and if I click on the TOC, then the correct topic opens in the content area, but if I click on the browse next or back keys, the TOC does not stay in sync.  In the Indigo layout, there is an additional undersirable artifact in that the breadcrumbs also do not get updated when clicking the browse buttons, but do only if I click on something in the TOC.

Any help will be greatly apprecitated.

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you "publishing" HTML5 out of FM or are you "generating" HTML5 out of RH (after importing or linking FM content)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a sense I am doing both.  The situation I describe above is publishing out of FM.  But I ultimately want to publish that content along with other content out of a merged RH project.  Same thing happens though with the RH output of the merged content.  Right now I am hoping if we can solve the output from FM issue, it will also solve the RH merged project issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, while internally the engine is the same, externally there's a level of control inside RH that isn't present in FM's publishing routine. Are you setting the pagination to split up the one FM file into multiple topics?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes  The same header paragraph styles I use to gen the FM TOC are used in the mapping to split into topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Note that I'm only a RoboHelp user and I'm ignorant in all things Frame. Other than to know it's called FrameMaker. LOL

Normally when we see TOC sync issues as you seem to be having it is because we have more than one topic instance in the TOC. In this case there is no way to distinguish between which topic instance should sync up.

So the question here is to ask if this is possible? Do you have a TOC where a topic is referenced from more than one spot?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. Interesting. I think you are on to something.  I beleive there are some ssme "section" names in each chapter. When output from two fm files there may be additional info used to gen the topic and thus have a unique topic file name.  When gened from one fm file the topic file names may wind up idetical.  I will check this out and report back.

Thank you both for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seemed to be at least part of the problem.  In one book I am genning to html5 from FM I found a duplicate topic ref. So I changed the name of the header in the fm file, regenned, and the toc sync worked fine in that output.  In a second book, this approach did not work.  I don't see any duplicate topics.  I did find one header that had a : in it which was not genning properly to a topic file so I removed the :, but this did not fix the lack of toc sync in the output for that book.  I guess there is some other issues going on there. 

Any other thoughts on things I should look for that might be messing up the toc sync?

Thanks

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for a laugh, why don't you create a new blank project in RH and import your FM book & TOC and set the same pagination settings. Then see what results in the RH project - that might give you some more insight into how the process is failing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea... I will work on that and let you know what happens...

Further info on the book that I thought had the toc sync working...  it mostly did, but then I noticed as I clicked the browse next button to go through all topics, that is skipped some...  LOL...  no idea what is going on with that... It did work in both directions...  click browse next, correct next topic displays in content area, but toc does not sync... clicked browse next again, correct next topic displays in content area and now toc sync resumed to that topic in toc...  click back and it goes to the corret previous topic in display area, but again the toc sync didnt work... click back one more time, correct topic displays and toc syncs to that topic...

really scratching my head now...

I am going to work on the RH import method...

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this is probably going to be nearly impossible to try and sort without having actual eyes on the RoboHelp project.

Is it possible that you could share your project with the issue so I or another person might be able to see it first hand?

If so, you could upload it to something like WeTransfer.com and I'd be happy to take a look.

If you are amenable to this, my own email is rickstone1975 (at) gmail (dot) com.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember Rick - the OP is actually creating HTML5 help directly out of FM, so there's no RH project that he's playing with to send you. That's why I suggested creating an import RH project in post#8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the content isn't something I can openly post, but I would be happy to send you the project for you to take a look at.  I assume you want the full FM project to gen yourself, or do you just want the html5 output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said earlier, I'm a RoboHelp dude.

So Frame stuff would be totally lost on me. Other than maybe needing it so RoboHelp doesn't quibble when it opens the project.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhhh I missed that Jeff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And that calls into question why this thread is in the RoboHelp forums!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Rick - thus my initial "probing" in post#1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right... ok I am woking on importing to RH and will see what happens...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp