• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TopNavigation Frameless: Index and Glossary?

Enthusiast ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running RoboHelp 2020.5

2 questions:

1. Can an INDEX be included/provided for a Frameless output using the TopNavigation skin?
  2. Can a GLOSSARY be included/provided for a Frameless output using the TopNavigation skin?

I specified both in my output config, but they aren't available/don't appear/I can't find them in the output.

Thank you!

TOPICS
New UI , Output presets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Okay, that's disappointing, but I understand. I was hoping there was a function I could enable that would simply display the glossary in the topic panel when selected. We used to provide glossaries in dedicated topics when we were publishing CHM output in RoboHelp 3. I'll evaluate whether we want to return to that format in this one instance.

I do really like the TopNavigation skin, so I logged feature requests to add INDEX and GLOSSARY functions/options to it, which could be displays in the top

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, RoboFan

The TopNavigation Skin has recently been added to the Frameless Output Preset. This "minimalist" design recognizes that some authors choose not to include an Index because of the trending popularity of the Search function. TopNavigation does not use tabs or panels found in more traditional "tri-pane" skins. The purpose is to create a clean navigational option where all commands are at the top of the skin. For that reason, the Index is not available.

However, the end user can still access the Glossary by using the Expanding Text, Popup or Tooltip options which you set in the Content portion of the Output Preset shown here:

johndaigle_0-1626881245958.png

Thanks

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response! 

INDEX: I do like the TopNavigation skin. Lack of index probably isn't a deal-breaker for this project, but I would like to see the option to incorporate one, gracefully, in a future release. I'll look at logging a feature request. Thanks!

GLOSSARY: I specified a glossary for my output, and tried both expanding text and pop-up, but I can't see where - in the resulting generated/compiled, audience-facing output - to open it. What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I *think* you need to run the script "GlossaryTermConvertor" to apply the glossary to the words in your project, then when you generate RH inserts the glossary definition in each word as expanding/tooltip/popup, depending on what you selected in the preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, given the script seems to be an all or nothing proposition, go through your project and drag glossary terms to relevant words.

In the past I've always avoided the built in glossary, as I haven't liked it's limitations in Classic (single paragraph, no formatting or graphics, etc). Instead I have a separate topic called "Glossary" that's listed in the TOC and sometimes in the footer depending on client needs. It means I can't use the glossary expanding/tooltip/popup feature, but I personally think it's a small price to pay. Perhaps this would work for your situation with the New UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, that's disappointing, but I understand. I was hoping there was a function I could enable that would simply display the glossary in the topic panel when selected. We used to provide glossaries in dedicated topics when we were publishing CHM output in RoboHelp 3. I'll evaluate whether we want to return to that format in this one instance.

I do really like the TopNavigation skin, so I logged feature requests to add INDEX and GLOSSARY functions/options to it, which could be displays in the topic pane/panel when selected:

Feature request to add optional GLOSSARY function to TopNavigation: https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/RH-9780

Feature request to add optional INDEX function to TopNavigation: https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/RH-9781

Please vote if you agree!

Thanks everyone for the input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Done and dusted, RoboFan. Thanks for posting feature requests. Also thanks to Amber for mentioning the need to run a Script for the Glossary. The old .chm Tri-Pane paradigm gave browsers fits with Frames and is dying a slow death. But we can't throw out the Index (or Glossary) out with the bathwater 🙂 

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp