Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble with MergeFormat tags appearing in Word doc

Feb 11, 2009 Feb 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I have been living with this problem for ages, and just manually deleting them. But, I now have a new coworker who does not get the same problem when we single-source the same project to Word.

When I create a single-source Word document, before each topic heading in the newly generated Word doc, I get a tag like this: { XE "GPA:setting up" \MERGEFORMAT} I get one for each index entry for the topic. I do not generate an index when I generate printed docs. I'm trying to figure out where to get rid of these. It looks like a Word setting. My coworker and I have looked at all of our options in both Robo and Word, and can't seem to find which one made hers go away.

I use RH7 and Word 2003.

Any ideas? Thank you for your help in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 11, 2009 Feb 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - I think I figured it out. I have to look at formatting (Show/Hide Formatting) when I use Word, she does not. I see now that the index entry tags don't print when you print the Word docs (so I don't need to delete them) - but they are ugly to look at as you are editing! Not sure if there is any other way to view all other formatting marks without those. As long as I don't have to delete them all anymore, and they don't appear in the printed docs, I'm happy.

Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2009 Feb 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could record a macro to Show / Hide Field Codes to turn this on and off as required.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also had this issue. However, when I created a PDF from Word, it would also put all the MERGEFORMAT content in too.

The way to fix this (in Word 2016) is to go to File>Options. Under Display options, make sure you clear "Print hidden text" from the Printing options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp