• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to delete empty folders in the My RoboHelp Projects folder.

Participant ,
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 2015 (12.0.2.384)

Unable to delete empty folders. I get a "Could not find this item" error message. Tried deleting in Project Manager, Explorer, and DOS.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Finally was able to delete that folder. I had to go into DOS and find the hidden folder and delete it. DOS makes my head hurt. I didn't use FileZilla because our company does not allow us to install anything not approved. I believe RoboHelp must be doing something under the covers and had a reference to that folder that I could not find.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like I'm interrupting, but I'm throwing this out there. I Googled this and came across this post: Cannot delete o byte file that "doesn't exist" Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums  #7 talks about using PowerTool to force delete the folder/file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you need to give the link KimberlyO found a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kimberly, not interrupting at all. Appreciate what you found!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My reading is that this folder cannot be seen in RoboHelp Project Manager but can be seen when the File Open dialog is pointed to the My RoboHelp Projects folder, also if you use File Explorer to browse to that location. In other words, RoboHelp is not seeing it, only a dialog fed with information from Windows.

Try this as I have used it to delete a sticky file that nothing else would clear. Install FileZilla, there is a portable version if you don't want to install into Program Files. Use that to browse to the folder and and try to delete it from within FileZilla.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally was able to delete that folder. I had to go into DOS and find the hidden folder and delete it. DOS makes my head hurt. I didn't use FileZilla because our company does not allow us to install anything not approved. I believe RoboHelp must be doing something under the covers and had a reference to that folder that I could not find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what we used to delete the folder in DOS:

Use cd (change directory) to get to one level above the directory/folder you want to delete.

Use dir /a /n to view all contents of that directory with long file names on the right, to see the corresponding long file name of the directory/folder you want to delete, eg., FOLDER1~

Use rd /s followed by the long file name of the directory/folder you want to delete, eg. FOLDER1~ to delete that directory/folder and also all its sub-directories/sub-folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sooo, I'll be interested to see if the DOS removal actually "sticks". Because if it's something in your RoboHelp project that caused the folder to be created, it will likely be RE-created at some future point.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL, you are just a little ray of sunshine! No, the phantom folder never returned. And it has been over 2 months. In fact, I waited to post this answer for that very reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp