Unable to export into PDF file

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying RoboHelp 2015 on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Using Printed Document with Doc format works fine and PDF option keeps failing and refers to an 'internal error'

I tried both my project and default sample project included with the software and the result is the same. Below is the export log.

Starting to build Printed Documentation...

Printed Documentation processor 12.0.0.306

Building C:\Users\RMaster\Documents\My RoboHelp Projects\Adobe RoboHelp 2015\Samples\Travel_the_Whirls\!SSL!\Printed_Documentation_Developers\Printed_Documentation_Developers.doc ...

Preparing to create Printed Documentation...

Clearing output folder...

Preparing files for Print Document...

Copying files...

Updating files...

Finished preparing in 4 seconds.

Preparing environment...

Printed Document Generator Environment: Word 11.0.5604,  OS 6.1.7601, RAM 0 M Bytes

Building Printed Documentation 'Printed Documentation - Developers'...

Building Single Document 'Printed_Documentation_Developers.doc'...

Building 'Table of Contents'...

Preparing to build chapters...

Building 'Developer Staff'...

Building 'Context Sensitive Help'...

Processing 'CSH - How it's done'...

Processing 'How to use CSH APIs'...

Processing 'Creating Map IDs'...

Processing 'Testing CSH Help'...

Processing 'Context-sensitive help for mobile apps'...

Completed building chapters...

Building 'Index'...

Updating list paragraphs...

Saving 'Printed_Documentation_Developers.doc'...

Updating images...

Updating Index...

Updating Table of Contents...

Generating 'Printed_Documentation_Developers.pdf'...

Failed the generate PDF file 'C:\Users\RMaster\Documents\My RoboHelp Projects\Adobe RoboHelp 2015\Samples\Travel_the_Whirls\!SSL!\Printed_Documentation_Developers\Printed_Documentation_Developers.pdf'...

Failed to save 'Printed_Documentation_Developers.doc'...

Cleaning up temporary files...

Internal error encountered,  Failed to generate Printed Documentation.

TOPICS
Classic, Documentation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will not be the first person who cannot generate direct to PDF for seemingly no good reason. Behind the scenes RoboHelp does create a Word document when you select PDF only and then converts that to PDF. You may just have to accept that you produce the Word document and then convert it yourself, which is simple enough, rather than ask Rh to do it.

The path length for the document is some 171 characters so it could be that from the topics it is even longer. Try moving the project to say C:\Rh and see if that helps.

Also try the DOCX format.

Hopefully you are using the 32 bit version of Office. Even Microsoft recommend that for compatibility with other apps.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Please use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you. The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter for the tips. Moving the project into C:\R didn't help. Still getting the same error with no details. Converting the Word document into a simple PDF file works, however, there are no links and some screenshots are getting cut off.

I'm using 32-bit Office. Tried 2003 and 2013 with no luck.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try from the Employee Care sample project. Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

Does that generate a good Word document and do the links work there (in Word), also in the PDF if you then generate that?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Please use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you. The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the exact same problem. I've been on the phone with Adobe support for over 10 hours in total over a week. Cannot produce a PDF using my projects or the sample projects. The same error every time. Recently installed Office 2016. We have uninstalled and reinstalled the Office 2016 suite and my Tech Comm suite. Made no difference. I believe the workaround will just have to be good enough.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what version of RoboHelp are you using?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 2015

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution? I am facing exactly the same problem. Same error message in log.

I have Robohelp2015 and Office2010.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

To my knowledge, Office 2010 should work fine with RoboHelp 2015. Now if you said Office 2016, I do believe one of the service releases for RoboHelp 2015 addresses this issue. So the answer for that would be to ensure the latest service releases have been installed.

What sort of error is being produced?

Cheers... Rick

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found saving as Word .docx worked OK.

I also discovered if you additionally create a word template and set up autonumbered level headings (1, 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.2 etc. based on the H1 H2 and H3 styles) and then import the docx file into this template - and THEN save as PDF, you can have numbered headings in the printed output. So long as you used H1, H2 and H3 in the original help file of course!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines