Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating merged chms

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2016 Feb 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a project (in RH 11), where the final "master" chm has several merged chm files in it.

Now the merged chm files have been updated. So I delete the old chm files from the project, and add the updated versions to the master project.

All seems good so far.

However, when I search for something in the updated chm, I see, in the search results, both the old and the revised topics of the merged chm files. Clicking on the old topics actually shows me the old topic content, and clicking on the new topic, shows me the updated topic content.

How do I get rid of the old versions, so only the revised topics from the merged chm files are shown in search results.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2016 Feb 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your output directory, are both the new and the old CHM's still there? Clear the output folder and generate the project again. Does that help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the old files are not in the output directory (though the directory remains the same).

I did see the old names in the .hhp file (if I remember correctly) and deleted them from there too just in case, but that didn't help either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the updated projects, how did you update the topics? Did you create new topics? Are you using conditional build tags to exclude old content? Did you remove the old topics from the project?

If you open one of the updated CHMs and search, do you then also see the old content?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2016 Mar 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apologies for getting back so late.

What was being done was that the project was restructured, with some .chm files retaining their old names, while some names were changed. Due to this restructuring, some of the child/generic chm files were to be excluded from some of the parent ones.

We seem to have narrowed down the cause and the workaround seems to be working, for now.

Initially, what was being done was:

1. delete the baggage files from the project viewer

2. delete the .chm files from the project folders

3. delete the mention of the files in the .hhp file, under the [MERGE FILES] keyword.

However, when the new files were merged, the .hhp files would also be populated with the old names, that had been manually deleted in step 3 above (don't know why, but each time a new .chm is added, all the file names deleted in step 3 reappear). For those that had been renamed, it didn't matter any more, but for those that had kept their old names, the content was still appearing in the search (it was though to be the older content as it shouldn't have been appearing, but after a second look, it turned out to be the updated content of those files)

So for now, the workaround is to manually delete the files from the [MERGE FILES] category  in the .hhp files after adding the new .chms to the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp