• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating variables in search

Participant ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lot of variables in my project and when I use the search feature it usually finds results based on old variable values. How can I update the project so that the search finds results with the current variable values?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

I got it to update the topics by using the Update DHTML function.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where exactly are you searching?

Among the source files? Or is it happening when you search output?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I should have been more specific. In the source files. For example, if I have a variable called "fruit" and the initial value is "apple", but I change it to "banana", when I search for "apple" it still shows up in the search results everywhere that the variable is used. When I open the topic from the search results, though, the correct value displays. There is a disparity between the search results and the actual topics. Is there a way to update the search index or however it finds the results so that it searches with the current variable values?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the variable values are stored in the individual htm files and the only way I can see to update them is to open a topic and save it. We have over a thousand topics so that's far from practical. Anyone know how to get Robohelp to open each topic and update the variables automatically?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it to update the topics by using the Update DHTML function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm kind of wondering why you care - the default value is just a placeholder for whatever user defined variable set you apply at generation. If you really want to get down & dirty in the code, you could use a FAR tool outside of RH to search for the {rh-udv_start name="VariableName" apple rh-udv_end} tags and swap out banana for apple...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I need to change some terminology (that may change again in the future) across hundreds or maybe thousands of topics. The terms have several variations, so as I've gone through replacing the terminology with variables, I've been changing the variable to different values so I can search for places where the old terms still exist to replace them. This isn't helpful, though, when search tells me that the old terminology is in all the places where the variables are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp