Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrade from Robohelp Classic 2019 to Robohelp 2020 doesn't seem smooth

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We have a few Classic Robohelp (*.xpj) files on which we have multiple writers working. We were all on the same Robohelp 2019 version so it wasn't an issue.

Now, for some reason, one of us had to upgrade to Robohelp 2020. With this upgrade, we are not able to work on the same .xpj file because Robohelp 2020 does not support these files. We decided to upgrade the .xpj file to .rhpj in Robohelp 2019. However, when we open this .rhpj file in Robohelp 2020, we get a message saying once opened, this file may not work correctly on older versions. I understand how this might be an issue because Robohelp 2020 creates a separate "assets" folder.

Finally, we decided that we'd all upgrade to the Robohelp 2020 version. However, before we made the upgrade, we decided to trial run this for a single .rhpj project. We used "labels" in our 2019 Robohelp project. Now, when we open this file in Robohelp 2020, we do not see any Labels file getting in from our older project. Instead, we see a .lng file created outside the source folder.

Next, we said we'd try import this .lng file into our Robohelp 2020 project. To import, we first need to add a new English US label. Now, when we try to import the .lng file over this English US label, our previously defined labels do not seem to get imported. We seem to be living with the default English US labels that Robohelp offers out of the box.

Now, we are at our wits end on how to proceed. We seem to be running into roadblocks in all directions.

Any solutions/recommendations?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

The fact that the file is not where it should be is a big deal, it's why it's not being seen. With the project closed, try moving it using File Explorer to where it should be. Then open the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your RH2020 version all patched up with the latest build 3 version? If not, I would update it & try the test conversion again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, Jeff! We were not on the latest build 3 version. We upgraded, but the problem still persists.

The .lng file gets created outside the source folder and we are not able to import this .lng file into our Output Presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Content removed. Posted in wrong thread.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, Peter! Firstly, I really appreciate all the information you put out on your site. It's my go-to for any help I need on Robohelp.

Robohelp 2020 is behaving exactly as you've documented on the link. I see the "Labels" option under the Output Presets. However, for some reason, it is not automatically creating a "English (US)" label for me from my Robohelp classic project. Instead, it creates a .LNG file outside of my source folder.

This .lng file has all the label changes we had made in Robohelp Classic 2019.

I hoped I could import this file into Robohelp 2020 and then it should be business as usual for me. However, when I import, it does not change any text in the default English US label file Robohelp 2020 creates.

Now, we have multiple changes we've made to the labels in 2019. We'll have to make these updates manually in Robohelp 2020. Given the number of projects we have to upgrade, I don't think this is optimal. I was hoping the upgrade would be butter-smooth.

What are we missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My previous answer should have been in another thread, I think I had multiple threads open at the time.

we decided to trial run this for a single .rhpj project. We used "labels" in our 2019 Robohelp project. Now, when we open this file in Robohelp 2020, we do not see any Labels file getting in from our older project. Instead, we see a .lng file created outside the source folder.

1. You do mean 2019 New UI, correct?
  2. Where is the file being created. It should be in ProjectFolder\publish\languages\labels?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You do mean 2019 New UI, correct?

We tried both. Originally, our files are in the .xpj format and we all use Robohelp Classic 2019. We tried upgrading these .xpj files directly to Robohelp 2020 and the Labels portion behaved as explained above. We then tried upgrading these .xpj files from Robohelp Classic 2019 to Robohelp 2019 first. Next, we tried upgrading the newly upgraded Robohelp 2019 files to Robohelp 2020. This also gives the same results.

1. Where is the file being created. It should be in ProjectFolder\publish\languages\labels?

The file gets created at the same level as the ProjectFolder. Does this screenshot give you an idea:

lng_file.png

The "xxx-jb_rh2020" folder has the upgraded Robohelp2020 files. Notice the ".lng" file at the same level.

The ProjectFolder\publish\languages\labels folder is empty:

Language_folder.png

Had to blur out a few details.. Apologies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, the fact that the upgrade is placing the labels file outside the project folder isn't that big a deal if it allowed me to import this file back into the project from the Output Presets area. However, problem is, when we import this file, it does not update/replace the default English US label text that Robohelp offers.

I don't want to check and update each label in the out-of-the-box English US label file. Manual efforts like this is not only time-consuming, but we also run into the risk of making a human error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that the file is not where it should be is a big deal, it's why it's not being seen. With the project closed, try moving it using File Explorer to where it should be. Then open the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot! This seems to have solved the problem.

We had to copy the .lng file that Robohelp 2020 creates outside the source folder in the ProjectFolder\publish\languages\labels path that you mentioned.

One additional step though - Robohelp 2020 automatically names the .lng file as <project_name>.lng. When we move this file to ProjectFolder\publish\languages\labels, we need to rename this to en-US.lng.

Thanks once again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp