• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrade RH2017 Project in RH2019

Contributor ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My goodness, where is the documentation on how to navigate and proceed with a RH2017 project upgrade in RH2019? Opening RH2019 for the first throws one into a completely new user interface, with no guidance on how to navigate, let alone work with a converted pre-RH2019 project.

I just upgraded to RH2019 (been using RH for several years now - since RH2015) and tried to perform an upgrade of a RH2017 project. The "upgrade" seemed to complete but then when I attempt to generate my Responsive HTML5 output I see an immediate failure related to cyclic dependencies in the index cross references (?). From the log:

Starting responsive output generation.

Processing metadata...

Index cross references have cyclic dependencies.

Output Generation Failed.

The same project has been working fine in RH2017. So what's going on here? Absolutely no information in the log about which index entries are problematic or how to go about fixing this. And why is this an issue in RH2019 and not RH2017? Yeesh...

Anyone have any ideas/pointers?

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Thanks for sharing the details. is it possible to share the project or a sample which may be leading to this error (amisingh@adobe.com) . Also have you upgraded to Update 2. If not, would recommend to click on Help -> Updates and update to latest version and then try generating output. you may have to upgrade again but try it out once and let us know if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry, no, it's not possible to share the project. The install (just purchased as an upgrade) included the latest build (Update 2) - 14.0.2. Check updates also indicates I have the latest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The term "cyclic references" should really be "circular references" and means you've link two index terms to each other using cross references.

e.g cleave: see separate

separate: see cleave.

As near as I can tell, older versions of RH silently drop those terms from the index (although I thought I used them years ago for a product which inconsistently used the terms 'delete' and 'remove'). So the error message at least lets you know there's something Adobe considers a problem.

(Another scenario could be that you linked a single term to itself; the RH2019 interface doesn't allow this anymore, but I'm unsure whether the index file is actually cleaned up in this circumstance.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I would have thought that RH would have been more helpful in its error message (e.g., identifying the circular references explicitly), especially given that the current index appeared fine in RH2017 and doesn't result in output generation errors there.

After stumbling around for a while I was able to find the "Reports" (Author/Reports) area. I used the "Index" report to identify the two circular references (not sure how I would have found these otherwise with an index that contains thousands of entries!). These appeared as Keywords with no "Appears In" value in the report listing.* After going back to delete these entries in the Author/Index view I was able to generate the HTML5 output successfully.

* BTW, RH should implement proper grid-like scrolling in its various views; in particular, grids that require vertical scrolling should "freeze" the header row so this row is always visible in the scrolled view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make feature suggestions and report bugs here:

Tracker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my index needs a complete rework anyway. Can i fix this by just deleting the whole index ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got around this by overwriting the entire index in 2017 and auto generating one, before importing the project into 2019. Now the index is full of random numbers and inappropriate entriesso fixing that is on my to do list. But at least it published.

Incidentally editing the index in 2019 seems a bit of a laborious process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all take a look at the RoboHelp Reimagined sample project. There is a lot of information there about how to use 2019.

It wasn't necessary to delete the index as I believe one of the reports in 2019 assists with identifying the cyclical references. I was looking into that when you added your last post.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2019 Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again Peter.

Regards

JV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp