Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Urgent - CHM Child Project Now Showing in Output

New Here ,
May 08, 2015 May 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to create a merged help in RH 11. I am able to add the .chm child project to the master project (see snippet below). However, when I generate the master project, the child does not show. Is there an extra step after adding the .chm file to the master to allow the child to be viewed in the output? If yes, what is that step and how is it done?

Thanks.

(I should probably add that I have looked at Peter's recommendations re: setting up the merge (Merging WebHelp - RoboHelp 9 and 10). I am not sure, but from reading the instructions I suspect that the step I am missing is generating the .chm file. I am not sure how this is done. If this is indeed the step that I'm missing, please explain how to generate the .chm file after adding it to the master.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 09, 2015 May 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Think of generating a CHM file as the same as baking a cake. You can't eat the cake until it's baked, no?

CHM files are the same way. You can't view them until you generate them.

So you open each project and generate the CHM. Then you ensure all the associated CHM files are in the same folder. Once they are all in the same folder, the master CHM should then "see" the associated CHM files and present their TOC structures. Assuming, of course, that everything else has been properly set up.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the fast reply. What I am unclear about is how to generate the CHM file. I know how to generate an .xpj file, but not a .chm file. Please kindly walk me through the steps of "generating the .chm."

Much appreciated,

Gabriela

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay.

So you open RoboHelp.

From RoboHelp, open the project.

Now that the project is open in RoboHelp, you click View > Pods > Single Source Layouts.

Double-click the Microsoft HTML Help Single Source Layout and click the Save and Generate button.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Rick,

Thanks for your reply. Please bear with me -- I'm a newbie...

1.I have added 2 .chm child projects as follows:

2. I've made sure the 2 .chm files are in the same folder as the Welcome parent project.

3. I generated the project.

4. I went to View > Pods > Single Source Layouts , BUT I did not get the "Microsoft HTML Help Single Source Layout" option. How can I enable the "Microsoft HTML Help Single Source Layout" option?

Thanks,

Gabriela

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOTE: I was looking at some of your other posts where you mention generating Responsive HTML5. The links you have set up will not work with Responsive HTML5. If you do want to generate Microsoft HTML Help (CHM files), continue reading, otherwise post back with details of what output you want.

It could be called something else for you. Check the icon for the layouts you have defined. It should be like the below (the name in my example is the default name):

CHM_icon.png

If you don't have that icon, you will have to create a new one. Select File > New > Single Source Layout, then select Microsoft HTML Help from Output Type list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amber,

Yes, I am, indeed aiming to create Responsive HTML5 output. In this case, would adding .chm files as child projects still be a solution?

Thanks,

Gabriela

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For responsive (or webhelp or multiscreen) you instead need to link the RH projects.

This article on Peter's site, while designed for webhelp, shows the correct steps for setting up the TOC (note you need to have the second tab selected when browsing for your child project). I would recommend running through the whole process to check everything is set up as described - perhaps even download the sample projects provided on the page so you can see a working example. Peter's setup is particularly important to make linking between projects easier.

Merging WebHelp - RoboHelp 9 and 10

And this one on Willam's discusses some specific details for responsive HTML5:
Adobe RoboHelp: Merging Responsive HTML5 Help | WvanWeelden.eu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp